Ferris Is500 Surging at full throttle....??

Pjoe1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
Have an issue with mower surging at full throttle. Just changed oil, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, grease, blades for summer mowing season. Almost sounds like fuel starvation because it is only at full throttle and goes away at reduced power settings. Possibly the wrong type or restricted flow on new inline fuel filter..????
Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks
Pete

gregjo1948

Threads
Fuel filter installed in the correct direction? If not the filter, I would use some carb cleaner diectly into carb at full throttle and choke it for maximum draw until almost stalling. Try that a few times to dislodge anything in a jet. If that doesn't help, remove and thoroughly clean the carb.If you're careful, you can salvage the gaskets for reuse. Also, check the fuel pump. gregjo1948

D

DSepe

If it's a B&S check and clean carb again as greg said. The Briggs are notorious for surges with dirty or clogged carb.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all,
Have an issue with mower surging at full throttle. Just changed oil, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, grease, blades for summer mowing season. Almost sounds like fuel starvation because it is only at full throttle and goes away at reduced power settings. Possibly the wrong type or restricted flow on new inline fuel filter..????
Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks
Pete

Try a can of Seafoam in your next tank of gas(and I HIGHLY recommend non-ethanol gas). If that doesn't fix the problem follow the card cleaning, etc. instructions user gregjo1948 gave.

ddbtdd

Threads
I always make it a point to use fuel stabilizer and my old riding mower which had a 20hp Briggs didn't seem to have ill effects from the ethanol blend.
Now this slightly used Snapper Pro I just got- yes, was a little sick when it got here- surging- but I got it for a great price and gambled with a little TLC I could make it right.
An oil change, cleaned and checked the plugs, fresh gas with Stabil 360, just a shot of MMO in the gas and oil...
In my case I would say it was the fuel. Lucky me!