Ferris Hydrowalk DD 61" Problems

esanger22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I just bought a used Ferris Hydrowalk DD 61" from a guy I know. Its has a 23hp kawisaki on it, runs great, hydros are great, and it looks great too...excellent shape. It is having a problem though with cutting. At any speed it is leaving strips of uncut grass badly and everything requires double or triple cutting to make it look somewhat decent. I did just put new ferris blades on it and double checked the deck pitch. By the way, this is the fixed deck model. Also, there is a problem with discharging of the clippings. It discharges 80% perfectly fine, but the other 20 percent "falls" out of the discharge chute in nice rows like im friggin harvesting crop, it wont distribute some of it and that is what it does with it. I really need some help with this matter, need this machine running ASAP. I have the blades set at 3 1/4" right now, which equates to 3 spacers on each blade. Now this could be the cause, I don't know, but when you are underneath the deck and spinning the blades manually, normally the blades would match up perfect, cutting edge to cutting edge all the same height...in my case, when you turn the blades, one side of the blades on all the blades matches up perfect, but if you turn them 180 degrees, one of the blades are lower than the middle one and the other is slightly higher...im really stumped on this one because the spindles look fine and the spacers look fine and they are brand new blades, i know this is kinda hard to understand via text, but its the best way to describe it i know.

Can anyone please help me with these few issues, this is going to be my main mower and need it up and running ASAP. My truck decided to start leaking from the oil pan (rusted out) and that needs repair and I just dont have the funds to give to a shop nor the time to wait, most service shops are running 12-14 day turn around times right now...dont have that kind of time.

Thank you so much in advance!

-Eric

gregjo1948

Threads
Your blades are not perpendicular to the spindles. Check the spindles where the blades set for any obstruction. Maybe an allignment dowel. gregjo1948

esanger22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your blades are not perpendicular to the spindles. Check the spindles where the blades set for any obstruction. Maybe an allignment dowel. gregjo1948

Thank you for your help! I was able to figure out a bunch of this due to the deck nose being bent downward. Now the thing cuts like a champ, but it is still throwing the discharged grass straight as the ground in clumps versus out. I have looked over everything, i cant seem to figure this out. It seems like an airflow issue, but dont know where to begin!

gregjo1948

Threads
Check underside of your deck for built up grass and clean any or all of it out. While looking under the deck, check to see if the defectors are there or damaged. I don't know the correct name for them. They form a circle around your blades directing the cut grass to blow in one direction, allowing it to exit from the opennings in the circle. Hope you can figure out what I'm trying to say. Also check to see if your blades have too many spacers on the shafts, putting the blades below the grass defectors. gregjo1948

Last edited: