Walk behind Ferris commercial walk behind 48" electrical question

stingray157

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ferris commercial walk behind 48" electrical question
Hi
I have a Ferris 48" commercial walk behind for home use. The unit ran fine and after mowing I tapped it on the ground to knock the grass of the mower deck. After I did that it stalled and would not restart. After looking into it, the only way to get it to start is to disconnect the kill switch wire which runs from the coil to the key switch. Unplugged, it will start just fine, when I plug it in there is no spark to the spark plug no matter what position the key is in. Anybody have any ideas on what I should do? Replace key switch?
Thanks in advance for your help on this aggravating issue.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LawnWorld...

Check the wire all the way to the Key switch & At the switch check that the wire did not come off the switch and is shorting to ground.... :smile:KennyV

stingray157

Forum Newbie
Threads
The wire is firmly attached to the keyswitch. I did a coninuity check and it was fine. I think I will buy a new key switch and see if that makes a difference. Not that good with electrical and diagrams and this is not that expensive to try. The good thing is I can still run the mower until I get it fixed properly.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It could be the switch... You can check that using your continuity check... With the key switch ON, There should be NO continuity between the kill wire and the frame or engine block. Check this with the wire disconnected at the engine end But still connected to the switch.
With the key switch OFF there Should be continuity between the kill wire and the frame or engine block...
If that wire is shorting out to ground other than at the key switch, you will need to repair the short. :smile:KennyV

stingray157

Forum Newbie
Threads
well I did what you said and it is exactly like you mentioned. With the key switch ON, There is NO continuity between the kill wire and the frame. With the key switch OFF there is continuity between the kill wire and the frame. So I guess I have a short somewhere else?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the key switch is good... Now check the kill wire for any place it could be pinched or otherwise shorted to the frame... :smile:KennyV