Ferris 700 61 vanguard motor 28hp

Parrish

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I don't idle this motor down before turning off it will back fire every time do I need to adjust something?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
no
To meet EPA regulations modern engines burn leaner and modern fuels burn hotter.
Thus a good bit of the exhaust is hot enough to ignite a combustible air:fuel mix.
When you shut off the engine from full throttle the magneto is earthed out so there is no spark but the carb keeps on pumping fuel through the motor.
This ends up in the muffler and ignites if the muffler is hot enough.
Idleing down alllows the muffler to cool off a bit, just enough so the unburned fuel does not ignite in the muffler.
I hear all sorts of guff about how much damage this will do but in reality it just goes bang.
The cheap & easy fix is to fit a fuel tap ( preferably before the fuel filter ) and shut down by turning off the tap & starving the engine.

The landlords Cub has a CH620 in it with the fuel "anti- afterfire" cut off so it goes BANG, big time about a full minute after the engine stops turning over.
Been doing that for the whole 7 years that they have owned it for.

Parrish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you.This info is in line with what my dealer told me. I am a trust but verify type of person, and I need this mower to last about 100 yrs to justify the purchse.

gainestruk

Threads
It's always a good idea to idle engine for a couple minutes to cool down hot spots in engine, a fuel shut off is a great idea just remember if you walk away while it runs out of fuel (my Husqvarna takes 2-3 minutes to run out) go back and turn key off or you will have dead battery next time you want to use it.