Engine Ferris 4000 cranks but won't start

Tab3521

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have changed the air and fuel filter. Plugs are good. Gas and oil level are proper. With this being said, I went to start my mower yesterday and it wouldn't start. The day prior it ran like a champ!
It seems as if it is getting too much fuel and flooding itself out as soon as the key is turned.
I have tried starting it with and without the choke to limit the fuel in the carb. Still it just cranks but won't start.
Any help will be great.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up the make and model numbers of the engine. it will help us here, to help you there...!

Tab3521

Forum Newbie
Threads
EngineMan- I will get that ASAP for you.
I forgot to add that when acting as if its flooding itself, the air filter is instantly getting soaked with fuel.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you taken off the carb and cleaned it out yet..?, like check the float and float valve.

Tab3521

Forum Newbie
Threads
25 horse Kohler.
Model number CH255
Serial numer 3014104611

I have not taken the carb off yet. I didn't want to get in too deep until I had a direction to go.
I'm assuming this is a pretty simple task. How do I know if the float and float valve are good/bad?
I am not a mechanic but do know the basics of repairing things.

Thanks for your help.

Tab3521

Forum Newbie
Threads
Correction. The model is CH25S

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would find someone who knows what to do, or take it into a repair shop, I will give you some info.......

Float
It is not necessary to remove the carburetor from the engine to check and adjust the float.
1. Remove the air cleaner and breather hose.
2. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor.
3. Clean dirt and debris from exterior of carburetor.
4. Remove the four screws holding the two carburetor halves together. Carefully lift the upper body off the carburetor body and disconnect choke linkage.
5. Hold the carburetor upper body so that the float assembly hangs vertically and rests lightly against the fuel inlet needle. The fuel inlet needle should be fully seated, but the needle tip should not be depressed.
NOTE: The fuel inlet needle tip is spring loaded. Make sure the float assembly rests against the fuel inlet needle without depressing the tip.
6. The correct float height adjustment is 22 mm (0.86 in.), measured from the float bottom to the air horn casting. Adjust the float height by carefully bending the tab.
NOTE: Be sure to measure from the casting surface, not the rubber gasket surface.
7. If proper float height adjustment cannot be achieved, check to see if the fuel inlet needle is dirty, obstructed or worn. Remove the brass screw and float assembly to remove the fuel inlet needle.
8. Once the proper float height is obtained, carefully lower the carburetor air horn assembly onto the carburetor body, connecting the choke linkage.
Install the four screws. Torque the screws to 1.7 Nキm (15 in. lb.).
9. Connect the fuel line.
10. Install the breather hose and air cleaner assembly

When you have the top of the carb off, (a simple way ) is to blow into the fuel inlet, and by lifting the float to the top end should stop the air flow. if not clean or renew the needle/seat.

Hopefully someone on here will give you more help if you need it, goodluck.

Tab3521

Forum Newbie
Threads
EngineMan- thank you for all of your help! I will try that as soon as I get home.

Tab3521

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I didn't have time after work to start taking things apart so I ended up using a small squirt of carb cleaner in the carb, let it set, blew a bit of compressed air in the carb. Changed the air filter because it was soaked with gas from the previous floodings and now it is starting up just fine and not flooding itself out.

Is it possible that there was a small amount of gunk build up and it worked itself out?

Should I still change the float and float valve?

Thanks again

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Should I still change the float and float valve?"

No need if you feel its back working fine, but its up to you, just keep an eye on it, good to know you have her running..!:thumbsup: