Feeling RIPPED OFF Cracked cam gear

Donna

Forum Newbie
Threads
in march my mower stoped, walker advised no parts in the country for 12 weeks (WHAT)
the only option a new motor $4500, the mower is 2 years 11 months old 11months out of warrenty.
I got the old motor back and on inspection found it had a cracked cam gear (NO WAY) therefore the cam gear was cracked when I brought the mower, took photos sent them to walker. This week August, walker have offered me $900 as this is what the parts would have cost (WHAT) was I spose to rebuild it myself, whilst unemployed.
Anyway also the mechanics report says he was very suprised it had done 1200hrs as it was in near new condition -- he did not report the cracked cam gear. Not suggesting anything doggie just that you wouldent look for that because it can not happen.
I would also like to point out that i have owned walkers for over 25 years and love them,
So any comments, yes out of warrenty But this machine had a major manufactuer fault when i brought it and one would hope that it is the first time it has happened, and if my partner was not motor savy we may have never knowen. Should walker front up with the total cost, dos anyone think $900 is fair

mullins87

Threads
I wish I could help. That must be one heck of a mower!! I can't imagine a cam gear that cost $900. Maybe someone else can help you.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should walker front up with the total cost, dos anyone think $900 is fair

When you make a decision to purchase a mower that is manufactured half a world away(20,000 Kilometers) in another hemisphere, it's understood that you may have serviceability issues. 12 weeks is 12 weeks, you decided that it was too long and opted for the new motor. Seems like you could have purchased a decent substiute for that price but I am not familiar with your options in New Zealand. I assume that you have a Walker dealer there? I am also assuming that your dealer decided the motor could not be fixed and left you with the 4500$ option? Why didn't he offer a rental or the sale of a used machine to get you through while waiting for parts?
It seems it would also be important to note exactly what kind of colateral damage was aparent in addition to the cracked cam gear. There was absolutely nothing that could have caused this to occur?
What kind of mower is this that requies a 900$ gear? Could you have not mentioned that Walker is cutting you a check for 900$ to cover all the parts and labor to do the repair should you have elected to have it done? How could the mower have run for 2 years with this problem? Was it something that the dealer did not identify. Was there no symtoms aparent in the performance?
I think you should take the money and go on with life. After all your mower now has a brand new engine. It isn't like you lost 3600$.
Based on the limited information you have provided and your location I think the offer is fair. I'm sorry about your bad luck, it could have been worse.
These are my comments, I'm not a Walker owner and I never have owned one and I don't plan on purchasing one so I think my solicited opinion is objective.
Congratultions on your new motor, I hope it gives you many years of good performance.

Found this on ebay after you posted your engine type 10 hrs later.
http://cgi.ebay.com/J-D-400-KOHLER-K532-20HP-CAM-GEAR-CAM-SHAFT-LIFTERS-/110707102163

You can get the entire cam shaft used with the gear for 27$ plus shipping. I think yopu need a new repair shop or walker dealer.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem results again because the cam teeth won't mate with the crankshaft gear and tear up the teeth. Kohler highly recommends that the crankshaft also be changed when changing camshafts.The reason that the price may seem to high is because Donna is in New Zealand with a different exchange rate than us.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem results again because the cam teeth won't mate with the crankshaft gear and tear up the teeth. Kohler highly recommends that the crankshaft also be changed when changing camshafts.The reason that the price may seem to high is because Donna is in New Zealand with a different exchange rate than us.

1 New Zealand dollar = 0.8435 US dollars today 8-7-11

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Donna, I'm sure you feel like you were taken... But as RobertBrown has said... they did offer 'out of warranty' relief for $900... and out of warranty by 11 days, wks, mts or years... is still out...

Another thing that RobertBrown noted... Had you done a more thorough search, you could have located parts at a far less price... I myself always check eBay... Better prices are almost always available, if you look...

I also have no problem with used parts... after all every other piece & part on your mower is used... and they are fine... Like mentioned, try to find a more 'helpful' dealer... and when things need replacing, shop for pricing... :smile:KennyV

robert

Threads
Perhaps if Donna can wait another week or so one New Zealand dollar will be worth 1,000 USD and the cost for repair will be down to about a fiver-what model Kohler is in this machine?

Duffer72

Threads
My question is why are you going after Walker and not the engine MFG, walker didn't mfg the engine,

Donna

Forum Newbie
Threads
walker sold me the product

Duffer72

Threads
You are going in the wrong direction and may be a good reason you are having the problems you are, What Wlaker gave you was a good will jesture as they didn't mfg the engine Kohler did and they are the ones you should be complaining to, actually I'm suprised walker gave you anything without Kohler saying no first, just my opinion after 40 years of retail, distributer and manufacturer service dept experience in the industry.