FD750D Blows fuse the second the key is turned on

grassmauler

Forum Newbie
Threads
At first it would only turn over, but wouldn't start. I checked for and found spark. I then sprayed starter fluid into the carb and it started until that fluid ran out. Turned the key off. Sprayed more starter fluid, turned on key, heard a single click then all was dead. Replaced burnt fuse. Attempted again. Fuse immediately blew. Your thoughts? How can I check the fuel pump?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless the carb solenoid has a direct short, the engine does not blow fuses, the mower does
kawasaki have their engine repair manuals on line as a free download.
As are the parts manuals , although they take a bit of finding .
I would love to be able to direct you how to quickly & cheaply get your mower running again but unfortunately you have provided very little information for me to work on
A bad fuel pump is very rare
A stuck fuel solenoid is very common
A fuel solenoid that goes dead short is rare
A solenoid wire shorting to the engine is quite common either due to mice, overheating or being badly routed

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / FD750D Blows fuse the second the key is turned on
And it may not even be the related to the engine but somewhere in the equipment side.

As Bert said you provide a very little info for us to work from. We got to have all the equipment info and not just the model number off the user decals. IE numbers from the serial number tags which provide the actual model number and from the engine the model and spec numbers.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
And it may not even be the related to the engine but somewhere in the equipment side.

As Bert said you provide a very little info for us to work from. We got to have all the equipment info and not just the model number off the user decals. IE numbers from the serial number tags which provide the actual model number and from the engine the model and spec numbers.
You have a short in wiring that needs to be located. If it is a riding mower, a good place to check is the two wires going to the headlights for a bare wire. Need to do visual checks for chaffed wires and use multimeter for continuity check.

grassmauler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Resoved mostly. This is on a Scag Turf Tiger model STT61A-27KA. At least now I'm more knowledgeable about this mower after going through and checking and testing all the components that I could. The short is located inside the control box area underneath the ignition and guages. I was not able to actually locate any bare wires, but I did twist them out of their current positions to move them further away from any contact with the choke and throttle controls. My first hint was that the amp meter was pegged until I loosened one of the bolts to remove the steel cover. The key wasn't even turned on. A local dealer had told me that on these older models most of these issues are found in this area and that Scag even started putting a rubber mat in the bottom to help eliminate a lot of this.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuse that immediately blows. I would take your fingers and trace the wire down. Look at every item that circuit feeds. Something is drawing too much current popping the fuse OR you have a corroded connection in circuit causing excess current draw again popping the fuse. Let us know what you find. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you get it fixed, make sure the fuse has drag marks when removed from the fuse holder. Good solid connection. Could be a cheap fuse holder with a poor connection popping the fuses.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have found bad stators blow fuses as well try unplugging the regulator and see if it quits blowing the fuse.

grassmauler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unless the carb solenoid has a direct short, the engine does not blow fuses, the mower does
kawasaki have their engine repair manuals on line as a free download.
As are the parts manuals , although they take a bit of finding .
I would love to be able to direct you how to quickly & cheaply get your mower running again but unfortunately you have provided very little information for me to work on
A bad fuel pump is very rare
A stuck fuel solenoid is very common
A fuel solenoid that goes dead short is rare
A solenoid wire shorting to the engine is quite common either due to mice, overheating or being badly routed
"A stuck fuel solenoid is very common" ....as was my case. A cheap generic replacement for $13 vs OEM at $161 from the SCAG dealer fixed my fuel delivery issue. Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for coming back
Most times a stuck solenoid can be cleaned which is one of the few places that carb cleaner actually does a good job
Remember the symptoms of your failed solenoid as to date none of my customers who bought an Amazon cheapie have had one last longer than a single season
So if you did not win the parts lottery there is a good chance that the solenoid will fail again
If you have the old one then clean it out and keep it in reserve .

FWIW
I only use accredited, tested & warranted aftermarket parts bought through wholesalers who give me 12 months warranty.
There are lots of aftermarket parts suppliers who handle parts that have been tested & passed
The wholesale price of the solenoids from them are all north of $ 20 ( US )
So if you think the one you paid $ 13 is exactly the same quality as the one from the dealer then you also must believe that the Tooth Fairy & Santa Clause are real .