Fastrak Cuts Like Garbage

keg99

Threads
I have a new 60" Fastrak that cuts terrible. The dealer agreed and so did the factory rep. They installed a hi-vac system (baffles) and high lift blades. It cuts a bit better, but still cuts like cr_p. To get a good cut, I have to go at no more than half speed. Anyone else have this experience? Any suggestions (beside selling and getting something different, which is my current plan)?

keg99

Threads
Yep. That's exactly how it cuts. I even got off the mower twice to check, thinking that had to be the problem. But no, the blades are on correctly. It's just the worst of any mower I have ever owned. I have about 5 acres to cut and need to be able to get it done quickly. Thinking of a Ferris, Toro or Gravely.

breagler

Threads
Aside from checking on the blades being installed correctly, are you running the mower at full throttle for the entire mow? This may seem to be a dumb question but I've known a few people run the mower at half throttle to save gas and complain about the cut. These machines are designed to be run at 100% for proper cooling.

keg99

Threads
Another good suggestion. And yes, I do run it at full throttle. I even bought an rpm gage to double check that it is running the rpm it should. It is as the manufacturer recommended. Sharp blades, blades installed correctly, throttle at full, . . . what else is there you can do. It is weird that the mower would cut so badly. Anyway, I will have to buy something else. Nothing like running half speed when you're looking at acres to cut.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another good suggestion. And yes, I do run it at full throttle. I even bought an rpm gage to double check that it is running the rpm it should. It is as the manufacturer recommended. Sharp blades, blades installed correctly, throttle at full, . . . what else is there you can do. It is weird that the mower would cut so badly. Anyway, I will have to buy something else. Nothing like running half speed when you're looking at acres to cut.
How do you have the deck set? Level all around? Rear slightly higher than the front?
Something isn’t right with your setup.
I will tell you that Rotary brand 6083 will perform better on your mower. However your deck needs to be setup properly. Your engine RPMs need to be set exactly as the engine
manufacturer specifies.
Your maximum throttle RPM should be 3,600 with no load.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not every bale & deck combination will give a give cut on every type of grass.
It could just be the wrong deck & blade combo for what is coming out of your soil

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep. That's exactly how it cuts. I even got off the mower twice to check, thinking that had to be the problem. But no, the blades are on correctly. It's just the worst of any mower I have ever owned. I have about 5 acres to cut and need to be able to get it done quickly. Thinking of a Ferris, Toro or Gravely.
I have a ferris 3100z with 60" ICD deck and gator blades. I can cut at full speed unless the grass is tall and it does a good cut. 36hp helps too.