Experience with warranty and service?

katit

Threads
I'm thinking about getting Raptor or Raptor SD. If it's going to be Raptor I will buy from big box store (cheaper)
Question is.. How does company handle warranty claims?

I understand that if I was professional, had trailer, truck, etc - I would get from a dealer, anything happen and I just drop it at a dealer to get it fixed.
Since I don't have truck or trailer and it's only for residential use - there will be no easy way for me to transport this thing to dealer. I can pay for initial delivery but after that unit will live in my property.

What if something brakes? Where do I go and what is a process? If I can fix it myself (obvious issue) will company just ship new part to me?
Just curious, never had this kind of experience.. With my old tractor I just fix it myself, but I buy parts so noone helps me or ask questions. With cars you can drop them for warranty service and drive back with loaner.

Nickwilkins

Threads
I bought mine from a local dealer, as they offered free pick up and drop off for any service within 15 miles.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, I must say I work for a dealer and I am very biased toward the dealers stance. If you purchase a piece of equipment from q big box store your equipment can receive warranty service from any of that brands authorized repair centers. Some things that are pretty standard that you should know. First, you will be charged a pick/delivery fee. It is not covered under anyone warranty, but there are dealers who wave that fee if you purchase from them. No one is going to send you parts for free, warranty or not. Many dealers put equipment not purchased from them at the back of the line, even it is a warranty or recall situation, so expect to wait a little longer if it is the busy time of the year. Sounds to me that you would like to cut the dealer out of your purchase, but still receive all the benefits of those customers who purchase from the dealer. The dealers who will give your that type of service are few and far between. My question to you is, do you feel you should get the same benefits as a dealers loyal customers? If so, why?

katit

Threads
I don't feel that I should get same benefit as loyal customers.
If I buy from a dealer nobody will even remember me if I come over once in 3 years. If I was business owner with a fleet of machines of course I would go to a dealer and build a relationship.

I'm all for supporting small businesses as I'm one myself. In this particular case I will have to see. It's not about listed price difference, machines listed at the same price but I can get financing and delivery from dealer, plus personal service. Maybe even get some $$ off or get free mulch kit whatever. But at big box store I can possibly pay 30-40% less for same machine and this is almost $1k!. This can pay for pickup and drop off and for expedited service if needed. But most likely I will go with a dealer because I like SD better...

My question was about logistics of handling warranty deals. I got it. There is authorized centers and I have to deliver machine to them or pay them to PU/Drop off from me. I will see what dealer says about free service pu/dl.

Thank you!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
30-40% cheaper at a big box store is unbelievable and in this area you would never see that. Are you sure that you are getting the exact same model and not a leftover. Also, does that price include set-up? Our prices include set-up, which can take 1-3 hours depending on the size of the unit and most of the time also includes delivery. You would be surprized how many of the good small dealers remember the individuals who purchase from them. Being able to do that keeps them in business. I would agree with you, at that price difference I think even I would purchase at the big box. Always remember you get what you pay for.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I don't understand the prices either? Lowes and Home Depot are asking the same exact price as the local dealer around here. The dealer also delivered the mower at no cost and drove it up my driveway. If you should need service, it might be a little more hassle through the BBS though you might get lucky. Stores like Lowes offer their "extra" warranty that covers everything including pickup and dropoff & a lemon clause. Is it worth the extra $300-$400?

If a dealer is worth his salt, he will be pleasant to do business with in all aspects.

katit

Threads
30-40% cheaper at a big box store is unbelievable and in this area you would never see that. Are you sure that you are getting the exact same model and not a leftover.

Yes, same everything. It's not just lower price. Price is the same. But in big store I can buy gift cards from individuals at bid discount and then apply to purchase. So, there is some work involved to get this 40%..

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't feel that I should get same benefit as loyal customers.
If I buy from a dealer nobody will even remember me if I come over once in 3 years. If I was business owner with a fleet of machines of course I would go to a dealer and build a relationship.

I'm all for supporting small businesses as I'm one myself. In this particular case I will have to see. It's not about listed price difference, machines listed at the same price but I can get financing and delivery from dealer, plus personal service. Maybe even get some $$ off or get free mulch kit whatever. But at big box store I can possibly pay 30-40% less for same machine and this is almost $1k!. This can pay for pickup and drop off and for expedited service if needed. But most likely I will go with a dealer because I like SD better...

My question was about logistics of handling warranty deals. I got it. There is authorized centers and I have to deliver machine to them or pay them to PU/Drop off from me. I will see what dealer says about free service pu/dl.

Thank you!

Well....I had no choice since Gravely ZTR's are only available from an authorized dealer, but I can honestly say that the Manager at my dealer still knows me by name when I visit(purchased in September, 2012). He also sells me any parts or accessories at his Commercial customer pricing(probably since I bought a Commercial model). Based upon my experience I wouldn't recommend buying a Gravely at a BBS even if they sold them.