Exmark Metro No Start

mtothero

Threads
I have an Exmark Metro with a Kawasaki FB460V-MS14 engine.

I’ve been playing with this off and on for ages.

It would initially start, run a few seconds and then die. After a while, it wouldn’t start at all.

I checked the fuel system (gas tank, fuel line, fuel filter & carb). I’ve disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the carb multiple times.

I checked the compression. It was low, but within the stated spec.

I replaced spark plug and just replaced the ignition coil. It started right up, ran a few seconds and died. Now it won’t start at all.

I’m at my wit’s end trying to figure out what the problem is. The only other thing I can think of is something electrical, but it still sounds like a fuel problem to me.

Any advice is appreciated.

txmowman

Threads
Has this bullet proof antique ever had any valve train maintenance? Valves inspected for wear, lash adjustment. How about a leak down test to check for leakage?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need spark, fuel and compression to make an engine run. You’ve test for combustion, so the next time it won’t start get an inline spark tester, most auto parts stores carry them, and check for spark. If you have good spark then you will know you have a fuel problem. Let us know what you find.

mtothero

Threads
Has this bullet proof antique ever had any valve train maintenance? Valves inspected for wear, lash adjustment. How about a leak down test to check for leakage?
The short answer is no
No. I am fairly handy, but I don’t know if these checks are within my abilities. I will have to see what’s involved.

mtothero

Threads
I originally checked for spark by holding the plug against the engine block. There was none which is why I replaced the coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check for spark after removing the shroud and disconnecting the coil kill wire? Sounds like you may have a kill wire which may be shorting out due to engine vibration.