Ethanol in gas for mowers- is it really bad?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run Sunoco 93 octane in all my equipment.

I use the 93 octane Sunoco, also have the Exxon real close. Everything, all the mowing equipment and truck gets 93

Nwatson99

Threads
93 Octane in everything, including mix gas for the Stihl equipment.
rigoletto 93 octane burns hotter and cleaner, so for the extra dollar for a 5 gallon can why not use the higher octane?

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I use the 93 octane Sunoco, also have the Exxon real close. Everything, all the mowing equipment and truck gets 93

Most of my truck run on 93 octane because they all have big block or small block Chevy's under the hood and they need the 93 octane.

They may be gas pigs, but I don't care ;)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Still, my manual says use 87 octane, so why should I use 93? Like using 93 octane in a car that specifies 87. Roads are full of people putting in 93 octane "high test" , when they are doing nothing "better" to their cars even though their cars specify 87.

all posts appreciated, as the more the better.

Most vehicles don't specify an actual gas rating except maybe your High performance sports cars, they give you a minimum and maximum. My Truck will burn 87 to 93 octane with 10% ethanol what I choose to run is my choice, it will also burn anything with ethanol up to the new E85 stuff, it's up to the individual owner as to what he prefers to pay for gas for his vehicle or equipment. As was already said for the price difference why not burn the good stuff.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
rigoletto 93 octane burns hotter and cleaner, so for the extra dollar for a 5 gallon can why not use the higher octane?

Would you explain " burns hotter " .

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Q. My owner's manual says my car will run just fine on regular, unleaded gas. Will "treating" it to premium gas provide any benefit?

A. Let's be perfectly clear about this:
NO!
A. The only thing you'll be benefiting are the portfolios of impoverished oil company executives.
And before you do that, consider that Exxon-Mobil earned $39.5 billion dollars in 2006 - a world record profit. It's not like they need you giving them a hand out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Q. But, won't premium increase the performance of my car's engine?

No.
A. Higher octane provides no additional performance for cars that are designed to run on regular gas.
Q. You're telling me I'm wasting my money by using premium?

A. You're starting to get the picture.

Mike88se

Threads
Most vehicles don't specify an actual gas rating except maybe your High performance sports cars, they give you a minimum and maximum. My Truck will burn 87 to 93 octane with 10% ethanol what I choose to run is my choice, it will also burn anything with ethanol up to the new E85 stuff, it's up to the individual owner as to what he prefers to pay for gas for his vehicle or equipment. As was already said for the price difference why not burn the good stuff.
If you want to waste money and slightly increase carbon deposits in your engine... why not do it ;)

Q. My owner's manual says my car will run just fine on regular, unleaded gas. Will "treating" it to premium gas provide any benefit?

A. Let's be perfectly clear about this:
NO!
A. The only thing you'll be benefiting are the portfolios of impoverished oil company executives.
And before you do that, consider that Exxon-Mobil earned $39.5 billion dollars in 2006 - a world record profit. It's not like they need you giving them a hand out.

Q. But, won't premium increase the performance of my car's engine?

No.
A. Higher octane provides no additional performance for cars that are designed to run on regular gas.
Q. You're telling me I'm wasting my money by using premium?

A. You're starting to get the picture.

There it is. I know you drive race cars and so have I. High compression engines benefit from higher octane fuel. In everything else it's a waste of money and it isn't good for the engine.
To SeniorCitizen... I think there was a thread here on this subject and I'm pretty sure I gave an explanation of that. I don't know that the search function works very well here but you might be able to find that thread.
In a nutshell... premium gas doesn't get burned completely in engines that don't need it. You can't see it but there is wasted money blowing out the tail pipes of a lot of cars using premium.
-------
and to post on topic... I tried premium in my machines fr a while after buying a blower from a manufacturer that recommended higher octane. I think my machines run better on regular.
Oh and one last rant... ethanol is in gasoline because politicians were paid by big agribusinesses to have it put there. That is the only reason as far I can tell.

rigoletto

Threads
LOL!! Thnaks, people, for your imput. I learned something. I learned most pros here like 93, but still, that doesnt convince me that my mower's problem is just that. A manufacturer staked his reputation on engine performance (car/suv/or mower). Thats good business. Just cuz Im not convinced of the evidence, that doesnt mean I dont appreciate your imput.

I know its not about cars, but hey- if youre putting 93 in your car and your manual specifies 87 , you ARE wasting your $$. The guy that chooses 87 over 93when his MFR spec says 87 is NOT CHEAP, he is smart, and well informed. This is not new/recent informaton. Adding "high test" to your car to "treat it once in a while" is a sacred cow that refused to die.

back to mowers and ethanol, Im gonna study these posts more and figuire out where to go, but we can debate forever, but seems like I should get non ethanol gas, 87 or 93, whatevers available. ......Thanks, people.

rigoletto

Threads

Thanks, NW, but an engine should not burn hotter than the temp for which it was engineered. I hear of people putting "hotter"spark plugs than spec - bad idea.