Engine transplant

andrewinsa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone

I did a cut on my lawn today with my electric mower and I had an idea while I was cutting. Instead of spending a ton of money on a new self propelled or a rotary mower, why not just upgrade my electric mower by doing an engine transplant and putting on a petrol Honda engine. The chassis and wheels are all in great shape.

Would there be any merit in this?
Andrew

benski

Threads
Hi everyone

I did a cut on my lawn today with my electric mower and I had an idea while I was cutting. Instead of spending a ton of money on a new self propelled or a rotary mower, why not just upgrade my electric mower by doing an engine transplant and putting on a petrol Honda engine. The chassis and wheels are all in great shape.

Andrew
Possibly. You'll need all of the cables, brackets, fasteners, etc for the controls for a gas engine, as well as a very accurate template of the mounting circle and bolt pattern of the gas engine you're going to install. Also, a new blade, of the correct diameter that fits your motor and mower deck. Other than that, it looks like a piece of cake...:wink::biggrin:

andrewinsa

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is something I forgot to mention, the manufacturers factory is just up the road from me, so I would take the mower back to them for them to fit a petrol engine.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If they have an engine that, when bolted to your mower, will place the blade at the correct height under the deck...

it should work out... But the deck, wheels and handle are not a large part of a mowers price... In this country I do not think any manufacturer would consider modifying any model to the extent you are suggesting...
An individual or shop may easily do it but Not the original manufacturer... :smile:KennyV

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Is there anything wrong with the electric motor? If it works fine , Id actually leave it until something happens . Also depends how cheeply the manufacturer could do the swap vs buying a new mower.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i would just get a good used one and save yourself the hassle....unless you just cant get it out of your mind:laughing:

LandN

Threads
Hi everyone

Andrew

this 'idea' that you have is costly.You already have a working mower that you 'bought'. now to have it converted is more cost...for the same mower.you are still with the same cutting width.

andrewinsa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for everyone's replies. After doing some homework, the engine transplant was definitely possible, I would have put a Honda engine on it. It would have worked out a little cheaper than a new machine. I have, although, listened the voice of reason, sort of. I am going to keep the electric rotary for the rough patches under the trees and as back up, and I am going to get a power reel or cylinder mower which will give me a great cut and self propelled convenience.