engine swap on poulan prp

genso

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Poulan Pro 48" hydrostatic drive rider that had a 22hp engine. It went up in smoke so I swapped in a 18hp briggs opposed twin. I got everything hooked up and started but find the briggs has a two wire alternator and the original had a three wire. I have an electric clutch and I can't get it to work with the engine I have in it now. Is there any way I can get this combination to work without changing to a new flywheel/alternator?

genso

Forum Newbie
Threads
any one with any advise?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok have have done the same thing. But I used a engine with out the voltage regulator. I ran the pto power wire to the battery with a inline fuse. Works just fine never any problems.

genso

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the reply. do you know if the 18 hp briggs has a regulator? And doesn't that running wire to pto run the battery down?
Ok have have done the same thing. But I used a engine with out the voltage regulator. I ran the pto power wire to the battery with a inline fuse. Works just fine never any problems.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks for the reply. do you know if the 18 hp briggs has a regulator? And doesn't that running wire to pto run the battery down?

My 18 did not have a regulator. Have never had the battery go down. It still gets a charge with the engine running.