engine replacement

rachel11

Threads
I have a 30 year old snapper push mower and the engine blew. I have a newer briggs 4.5 h.p.? off a toro, about 7 years old. IS THERE A WAY TO RETROFIT the newer engine on the old base? thanks

Waddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 30 year old snapper push mower and the engine blew. I have a newer briggs 4.5 h.p.? off a toro, about 7 years old. IS THERE A WAY TO RETROFIT the newer engine on the old base? thanks

I'm not sure about the Toro fitting; you may have to drill a couple of new mounting holes, but generally it's easy to fit a different engine on a push mower. Often the most difficult thing is making the controls hook up properly, like the throttle if it has one and the blade brake. But it's probably do-able. A new 675 series Briggs would run you about $160, though. Might be worth it.

regards,
Waddie

Threads
Sure !!!!! Remove the original engine and measure from the bottom edge of the mounting bolts to the bottom of the crankshaft, and measure the shaft diameter. If both engines have the same dimensions (purty likely) they will interchange. Keep in mind, no 30+year old (pre 1982) mowers had a OPC (you know--let go of the handle, it stops) so you'll have to figure out how to stop it. And never forget---EVERYTHING FITS ANYTHING IF YOU THROUGH ENOUGH MONEY AT IT!!!! Have fun.

rachel11

Threads
Sure !!!!! Remove the original engine and measure from the bottom edge of the mounting bolts to the bottom of the crankshaft, and measure the shaft diameter. If both engines have the same dimensions (purty likely) they will interchange. Keep in mind, no 30+year old (pre 1982) mowers had a OPC (you know--let go of the handle, it stops) so you'll have to figure out how to stop it. And never forget---EVERYTHING FITS ANYTHING IF YOU THROUGH ENOUGH MONEY AT IT!!!! Have fun.

Thats the problem. Shaft is fine and mounting is fine, how do I address the release of the handle issue?

Threads
Take the engine cowling off--you'll see the brake and ignition kill assembly. Take 'em off and put them where they belong. You'll see a small wire going from the magneto armature to a small contact in the brake assembly. Hook that wire to a simple on/off switch to ground out the ignition, and your in business!!!

Tommyboyxd

Threads
Sure !!!!! ...... And never forget---EVERYTHING FITS ANYTHING IF YOU THROUGH ENOUGH MONEY AT IT!!!! Have fun.

Quote of the year, I just shot my snack pack pudding on my monitor laughing!

Back in the day, we would just carry a screwdriver and when you wanted to kill the engine, we would put the tip on the screwdriver on the deck and touch the metal shaft of the screwdriver to the tip of the spark plug. BUT keep your fingers off all the metal!!!!!