Engine problems please help!

Giles

Threads
Carburetors are really very simple, at least after you have worked with hundreds:laughing:
Even the most "unskilled" person can accomplish cleaning with the right patience, obsurvance, and tools.
I have cleaned many carburetors by disassembly, applying spray carb. cleaner and many did not require replacement gaskets or other parts.
In most cases, compressed air is necessary to blow out ALL SMALL PASSAGEWAYS. Some passageways are about the size of a single wire of a wire brush or the smallest cutting torch tip cleaner.
It is advised to thorougly clean the outside surface of the carb. before removal. I usually use spray carb. cleaner, and pay attention to the holes used for linkage cable and governor rod hookup.
As far as adjustment goes--gently turn adjustment screw in, until slightly seated, while counting the turns. This is done before removal of the adjustment screw and if the adjustment has not been altered, this setting should be very close.
Many people can have a good running machine and suddenly have a problem and their first thought is to adjust the carburetor.
I differ from a lot of people:laughing: in that I do not believe perodic carburetor adjustment is necessary. You are simply "masking" a problem.
I have equipment that is more then 30 years old with many carb cleanings, and the adjustments are the same as when the machine was new.

Garbear

Threads
Thanks for the help. I feel encouraged!

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
My 12 HP Kohler in my 12-50 Jacobsen ran the same way until I got a donor need valve for the high speed air/fuel mix . The original one was slightly bent . I did not see it until the part rolled on the steel tractor lift . If i had not noticed it i was going to start checking the intake exhaust valve clearance.
Starts everyday now .