Engine Leaking Oil

relli1130

Threads
Hello,

I just picked up a free MTD lawn mower model number MTD 11A-418A729. Briggs Engine 4.5 HP. 190 CC.

Model number for the Briggs is 12M902-0451-E1.

This mower was neglected. But the deck is in good condition. The outside engine was caked with old oil, which pooled and caked the deck too. So this is a leak that has been ongoing for some time. Locating the source of the leak is the issue for me. I've sprayed the mower with a de-greaser and scrubbed it thoroughly so I can get a good look at the engine.

I'm wondering - for anyone reading this- is there a good method of pinpointing the source of an engine leak? Any common areas to look at first- problem areas per say? Does anyone know if this model mower/engine has a common issue with engine leaks?
The prior owner really neglected this mower, but I'd like to see if I can get it working again.

Thoughts/ideas/links are appreciated!

Jeff

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
CLEAN REALLY WELL. Just remember oil travels. run mower till it leaks oil. some oil leaks are easy to find and some not so easy.

relli1130

Threads
CLEAN REALLY WELL. Just remember oil travels. run mower till it leaks oil. some oil leaks are easy to find and some not so easy.

I've been using the Zep De-Greaser. Works OK when mixed with water. Thinking of going full strength and letting it soak in real good. What do you use to de-grease?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've been using the Zep De-Greaser. Works OK when mixed with water. Thinking of going full strength and letting it soak in real good. What do you use to de-grease?
simple green full strength.