Engine issue: runs for 3-4 seconds and dies

afollower

Threads
I'm not a mechanic but I like to learn so I can do things myself. Ran into a problem and hope you guys can help me out. I have a B/S Model 31Q777, Type 0110E1 motor on a 44inch Dixon Ram. Started as usual but when engaging the blades the motor began to surge up and down. Did this until I disengaged the blades then it would come out of it and run smooth. Did this for twenty minutes and then died. Now I can only get it to start and run for 3-4 seconds before dying. I took out the air filters, motor did the same thing. I unhooked the fuel line from the carb and turned the key to check the fuel pump, plenty of fuel. I noticed that the choke linkage was broken--never needed the choke before and I have had this mower for six years--so I held the choke while starting and it ran for much longer. So I decided to replace the choke assembly. Cleaned the carb up and replaced the choke assembly. Motor still just starts and runs for 3-4 seconds and dies. I pulled the float and checked it, guess what, it floats! I'm running out of ideas. I am going to pull the plug and check it to see if it is fouling out as it does burn a bit of oil (as well as an oil leak that I cannot find) and if I have constant spark but other than that I don't know what to do. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thanks fellas!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My thoughts would be dirty high speed jet in the carb, or sticky governor arm, or throttle linkage in carb.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the voltage to your carb solenoid, it should have 12+ volts in the crank and run position, sounds like it is just opening in the crank position now, which could indicate a failing keyswitch, maybe....

afollower

Threads
My thoughts would be dirty high speed jet in the carb, or sticky governor arm, or throttle linkage in carb.

I picked up a carb kit this afternoon and plan on rebuiding tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help!

afollower

Threads
Check the voltage to your carb solenoid, it should have 12+ volts in the crank and run position, sounds like it is just opening in the crank position now, which could indicate a failing keyswitch, maybe....

I checked the solenoid and it sticks open sometimes in both positions. I picked up a new one to install after I rebuild the carb. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion! Good one. :)

afollower

Threads
Okay guys... I rebuilt the carb and installed new fuel solenoid. Motor runs like a top and the oil leak seems to have disappeared for some reason! Thanks so much for the input.

I do have a couple different issues now.

First, when I start the engine on low throttle it runs great, then I increase the throttle and it runs great but will not decrease when I lower the throttle so it sounds like something is sticking in the carb but I don't know what. I shut the engine off and put the throttle on low and start it and same thing... it runs great at low throttle and when increased it runs great but will not decrease no matter what position I have the throttle. Any suggestions?

The second issue is strange... I was testing the mower out by actually mowing (lol) and when I went onto a hillside with the left side of the mower higher than the right side the mower bogged down and puffed out a tremendous amount of smoke like a big slug of oil blew past the oil ring... when the mower leveled out everything cleared up. I checked the oil and I am thinking that I have some gas in the oil due to the defective fuel solenoid from before but now sure. I am going to change the oil and filter tomorrow and see what happens. Does that sound like a possible solution? I guess I will find out tomorrow but has this happened to anyone? Thanks for the help!!!