Engine died while mowing

tlavergne

Threads
I have a 2008 Grasshopper Model 124 that is powered by a B/S Intek 24 HP engine. While mowing today it just stopped dead like the key was shut off. The engine will not crank. All fuses check out okay visually and with an Ohm meter. I have 12.57 volts at the battery. When I turn the key I get a load "clunk". That's it, just one clunk. The starter will not even twitch. Not sure where the "clunk" sound is coming from but am assuming the starter area. The positive battery cable goes to a solenoid switch and then to the starter. At the battery post on the solenoid I have 12.57 volts. From the 2nd post that goes to the starter I have 0 volts when turning the key or not. Any ideas?
Thanks!
TL

Addendum...if the solenoid switch was bad would that stop the engine in it's tracks?

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the plugs out and try to rotate the flywheel by hand, first.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then just for fun, check your battery cable connections for looseness and corrosion.

tlavergne

Threads
Engine spins freely and connections are clean and tight. The starter gear that moves up to engage the fly wheel is free as well, although it doesn't even wince when the key is turned. It seems to me that with good voltage going into the solenoid switch and zero coming out that that would be a problem. What I can't understand is, if that solenoid is faulty, why that would cause the engine to shut down. I can see where it would affect the starting of the engine but not the running of the engine once started.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The only thing that I can think of that would shut the engine down and then not allow a restart would be a safety switch. Make sure the pto is shut off, and the parking brake and levers are in the position needed to start the mower. How may post do you have on the solenoid. If a four post the safety switches could be in the ground side of the solenoid.

tlavergne

Threads
Boy, do I feel stupid. PTO was still engaged. That explains why it didn't restart. But why did it die to begin with? Your thought on safety switches on the solenoid makes me think that perhaps a wire to a safety switch grounded and knocked the engine out. Re-checked connections and taped a few exposed areas at the spade connectors. Hopefully that will do it. Many thanks for both of your comments to get my brain thinking in another direction.