Echo SRM-230 trimmer won’t start after new carb

Ezatnova

Threads
  • / Echo SRM-230 trimmer won’t start after new carb
My SRM-230 had been running poorly the last few uses. Bogging and dying under full throttle once warm. Figured it was carb related but was due for a new plug and air and fuel filters, so figured the $18 kit with everything plus a new carb would get it all good as new.

Replaced everything tonight and now it won’t even try to fire up. Driving me nuts.

Lines are hooked up correctly…I see fuel flowing out down the overflow line when pressing the primer.

Plug is a bit wet but the piston doesn’t look soaked or anything. Plus you’d think if I flooded it, it would start while holding it full throttle with the choke setting off. It won’t even sputter on any combo of throttle or choke.

Waste of time but for giggles I tried the old plug (wasn’t in bad shape anyway) and same issue.

Fuel is brand new Trufuel

Doesn’t make sense that the high side adjustment would cause it to not even try to start but for the heck of it I tried all the way in, all the way out, and halfway and no luck no matter what.

Only thing I haven’t tried is putting the old carb back on. It’s a minor pain because the new carb came with a wrong size grommet so I have to swap the lines to the OEM correct grommet.

Curious if I’m missing anything or if it sounds like a bad new carb

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
My SRM-230 had been running poorly the last few uses. Bogging and dying under full throttle once warm. Figured it was carb related but was due for a new plug and air and fuel filters, so figured the $18 kit with everything plus a new carb would get it all good as new.

Replaced everything tonight and now it won’t even try to fire up. Driving me nuts.

Lines are hooked up correctly…I see fuel flowing out down the overflow line when pressing the primer.

Plug is a bit wet but the piston doesn’t look soaked or anything. Plus you’d think if I flooded it, it would start while holding it full throttle with the choke setting off. It won’t even sputter on any combo of throttle or choke.

Waste of time but for giggles I tried the old plug (wasn’t in bad shape anyway) and same issue.

Fuel is brand new Trufuel

Doesn’t make sense that the high side adjustment would cause it to not even try to start but for the heck of it I tried all the way in, all the way out, and halfway and no luck no matter what.

Only thing I haven’t tried is putting the old carb back on. It’s a minor pain because the new carb came with a wrong size grommet so I have to swap the lines to the OEM correct grommet.

You could have ordered wrong carburetor, they could have shipped wrong carburetor, new $18 carburetor is defective, the carburetor wasn’t the issue. Also, pre-mix is better that Trufuel. Do some reading online about canned $20/gallon fuel vs pre-mix.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that I ave finished shaking my head and having a chuckle I will attempt to give you an answer
And you are not alone I get at least 5 of your kindred souls through the gate every month
Well that is your first mistake
You find the problem first then decide weather you are going to fix it or to replace suspect part
At this time of year there is a very good chance it was nothing more than a blocked muffler screen or outlet .
Other biggie is a carbon blocked exhaust port because you have been running with too much oil, too long or too thick line .
And it drives us nuts too because we now have the original problem plus to possibility that every new part is faulty
Makes perfect sense
The high jet does not come into play till around 3000 rpm and in many cases I set the Low speed ( and starting ) jet with the high totally closed when I am having difficulty getting a trimmer to start cold .
However what does not make sense is what the hell you are adjusting
You should have a Zama RB K 70a which as the name implies ( R= Rotary ) is a rotary valve carburettor which has a high speed just under a plug that is not readily accessible and rarely needs to be touched

Well a genuine RB k 70a is $ 75
A guaranteed aftermarket carb from an honest distributor is $ 50 and you paid $ 18 including air filter, fuel filter & fuel lines
So what do you think ?

Now Zama have the generic service manual for the RB series as a free download from their web page
Below I will upload the tuning proceedure for the SM235 which is basically the same as the 230
Finally do not spray carb cleaner inside any hole
The RB series has several internal check valves that are destroyed by carb cleaner .
SRM-235ES-1.jpg

SRM-235ES-2.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I would have done a compression test before ordering any parts. If the compression was under 100 psi I would scrape the engine as nearly all handheld two cycles require at least 100 psi to even try to start.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Installed a new carburetor?
Was the carburetor OEM or some generic model bought off of Amazon or EBay?
Were new gaskets installed on both sides of the intake block?
There was likely nothing wrong with the original carburetor.

People are quick to change out carburetors, when there is nothing wrong with the carburetor.

Ezatnova

Threads
Installed a new carburetor?
Was the carburetor OEM or some generic model bought off of Amazon or EBay?
Were new gaskets installed on both sides of the intake block?
There was likely nothing wrong with the original carburetor.

People are quick to change out carburetors, when there is nothing wrong with the carburetor.

when I disassembled things, there was only one gasket, which was between the carb and the intake hole on the engine. The kit did come with two gaskets but I know they usually do sometimes have extras for other fitments. Are you sure there is supposed to be a second gasket?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just throwing out things.

Echo in question does not have a gasket on each side of the carburetor. The air box side has no gasket.
1688469100580.png

Also there several serial numbers breaks so you need make sure you using the correct IPL for parts even they all use the same carb.
1688469317412.png
1688469371299.png

Last edited:

Ezatnova

Threads
Now that I ave finished shaking my head and having a chuckle I will attempt to give you an answer
And you are not alone I get at least 5 of your kindred souls through the gate every month

Well that is your first mistake
You find the problem first then decide weather you are going to fix it or to replace suspect part
At this time of year there is a very good chance it was nothing more than a blocked muffler screen or outlet .
Other biggie is a carbon blocked exhaust port because you have been running with too much oil, too long or too thick line .

And it drives us nuts too because we now have the original problem plus to possibility that every new part is faulty

Makes perfect sense
The high jet does not come into play till around 3000 rpm and in many cases I set the Low speed ( and starting ) jet with the high totally closed when I am having difficulty getting a trimmer to start cold .
However what does not make sense is what the hell you are adjusting
You should have a Zama RB K 70a which as the name implies ( R= Rotary ) is a rotary valve carburettor which has a high speed just under a plug that is not readily accessible and rarely needs to be touched

Well a genuine RB k 70a is $ 75
A guaranteed aftermarket carb from an honest distributor is $ 50 and you paid $ 18 including air filter, fuel filter & fuel lines
So what do you think ?

Now Zama have the generic service manual for the RB series as a free download from their web page
Below I will upload the tuning proceedure for the SM235 which is basically the same as the 230
Finally do not spray carb cleaner inside any hole
The RB series has several internal check valves that are destroyed by carb cleaner .
View attachment 65606

View attachment 65607

Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention the exhaust port is clear and ok.

What I WAS missing was the fact that there was an idle mixture adjustment 🤣. It was alllll the way out from the factory. Only have 2 minutes and have to run out for the day but I quickly put that screw in all the way and backed it off a touch and it fired right up in 3 pulls! Rough idle but I’ll get that sorted later with tuning and report back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that is a good start
Follow the instruction to the letter or you will end up with a hole in the piston in no time flat
Also note the bit at the end about having line hanging out of the head when you do the final tune up
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
So now we know there may not be blockages strangleing the engine hen your original problem is typical of a hard or punctured metering diaphragm
After that the next most common fault that causes those symptoms is a bad needle height, but these should not change in use
When you come to the final tune, turn the H needle out till it stalls rich and do the opposite till it stalls lean
Listen carefully and remember the different sounds of too rich & too lean.

And don't be surprised if you can not get the cheapis carb to run right no matter what you do a lot of them are defective which is why they are so cheap as the vendor bought them for the scrap metal valuse whic is about 4¢ each

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
when I disassembled things, there was only one gasket, which was between the carb and the intake hole on the engine. The kit did come with two gaskets but I know they usually do sometimes have extras for other fitments. Are you sure there is supposed to be a second gasket?
I just got through repairing my personal SRM 225. I purchased the Echo YouCan Kit to replace the fuel lines, fuel tank grommet, primer bulb, fuel filter, fuel cap gasket and vent filter. I also replaced the intake gaskets (sold separately). There was one gasket on each side of the intake block. One gasket went between the carburetor and the intake block, the other went between the intake block and the engine. That kit, along with an air filter, spark plug, and intake gaskets fixed all of my problems. The spark arrester screen was clean. No fuel mix leaking. No bogging. It runs like new.