Comparison Echo ppf 225 vs. Poulan 338 Pole pruners

gwtx

Threads
I am considering a new pruner. I have an old poulan 446 that was good until I ran over it with my trailer. I bought a poulan sm30 trimmer just to get the "power unit" to use with my pole saw, and after 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. the carb needs a new diaphragm or kit, and they are not available as far as I can determine. I ordered a new carb, but I don't like not being able to fix something and having to throw it away, but I guess that's the american way now days. So I'm considering a new machine. I have several attachments to fit the "poulan pro link" system, and would like to be able to use them on the new power unit, but they won't "bolt on" to the echo pas system. I wish I could find a unit that used a WALBRO carb instead of the chinese junk. Even the "big 2" echo & stihl are using the chinese carbs, and maybe more components from "RED" china. I saw an echo replacement carb for a 225 that looked exactly like the one on my poulan(Ruixing) for less than $20. Looking at the echo ppf 225, I see a lot of resemblance to the poulan 338. Coincidence or Copy??

My question is, is it worth twice the price to buy the echo over the poulan? And then have to replace my othe attachments as well? Thanks, Gary

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am considering a new pruner. I have an old poulan 446 that was good until I ran over it with my trailer. I bought a poulan sm30 trimmer just to get the "power unit" to use with my pole saw, and after 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. the carb needs a new diaphragm or kit, and they are not available as far as I can determine. I ordered a new carb, but I don't like not being able to fix something and having to throw it away, but I guess that's the american way now days. So I'm considering a new machine. I have several attachments to fit the "poulan pro link" system, and would like to be able to use them on the new power unit, but they won't "bolt on" to the echo pas system. I wish I could find a unit that used a WALBRO carb instead of the chinese junk. Even the "big 2" echo & stihl are using the chinese carbs, and maybe more components from "RED" china. I saw an echo replacement carb for a 225 that looked exactly like the one on my poulan(Ruixing) for less than $20. Looking at the echo ppf 225, I see a lot of resemblance to the poulan 338. Coincidence or Copy??

My question is, is it worth twice the price to buy the echo over the poulan? And then have to replace my othe attachments as well? Thanks, Gary

I don't know if there is a difference in it or not but I have a Cub Cadet power head that I bought at Tractor Supply and I have run many many tanks of gas through it since Last August and it has served me well. It works with the attachments same as Poulan Pro. I have run it with the pole saw, cultivator, hedge trimmers (which died on me last week) the brush cutter head, and no telling how many hours with the string trimmer head.

Because I run commercial I will buy a Stihl this coming Summer but for a person that does not want a commercial machine it does a great job.

Threads
Personally I like the "big 2" brands (as you call them)....Echo and Stihl. I would personally go with Echo over Poulan, but I am an Echo fan and have had EXCELLENT success with my equipment. The guy at my local Echo dealer and I were talking about the PAS System and he recommended one of the higher-up powerheads if you will be running more of the "powerful" attachments. A power pruner might be considered one of the powerful attachments, so he recommended for me to stay away from the PAS-225 if I was purchasing things other than the trimmer, blower, etc. attachment.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

I was just at home depot and toro has an attachment series that uses ryobi heads and the toro power unit it doesn't look fancy but it looks like it would do the job and might even use poulan heads not sure tho

gwtx

Threads
Thanks for the input. I really like the echo stuff, but with my income I just can't justify the price. I have had good service out of the poulan equipment. I just got agravated with the fact that no kits were available for the ruixing carb. This afternoon I went through my accumulated "left overs" from many walbro k10 kits, and found that the diaphragm is the same, as the gasket for the diaphragm,,,IF you punch a new hole next to the one that's there. So, I went through the carb again, after soaking in laquer thinnner for a few hours,,and it seems it did the trick. Only ran it for a few minutes with the pole saw cutting into an old railroad tie. Works like new,,,,,so far.
I have seen quite a bit of bad reviews on the ryobi stuff, but yes, I think it works with most of the "cheaper" multi-task tools.
Hope the tip on the walbro kits helps someone cause it looks like we're going to have nothing but chinese equipment. The ruixing carb actually looks like a good product and I saw one ebay for
$12.95 !
Thanks again for the replies. Gary

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads

with your attachments get a sthil they will fit go to my pics and see :thumbsup:

gwtx

Threads
"with your attachments get a sthil they will fit go to my pics and see"
Are you saying the Poulan Pro Link attachments will work on the KombiMotor?
That would be nice. I was told the cheaper tools would not work on echo or stihl, but again, they sell the echo and stihl attachments:wink: I couldn't quite see the "coupler" in the pics. Thanks

gwtx

Threads
Just saw a utube video with 3 different "cheaper" attachments being used on a Kombi Motor 90.
That's great, thanks K Pro

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Just saw a utube video with 3 different "cheaper" attachments being used on a Kombi Motor 90.
That's great, thanks K Pro

Echo will not work there shaft housing are smaller and u would have to modife and if you do get a sthil power head make sure it done in good or it will not work