easy way to get rid of poison ivy

Threads
Maybe you guys can help with some tips on how to remove it. And yes I know the easiest way is to stay away from it. So please no replies like that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
2-4-D will kill it... But you will still have to get hold of it to remove ... I've never been bothered by the stuff, so there may be others like me that are less sensitive to it... :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know if you were talking about killing the plant or getting the oil off you.
If it is the latter check out Tecnu - here is a search for the product Tecnu - Dogpile Web Search
It works :thumbsup:

Threads
Sorry I didn't make it clear, but I get it horribly bad and as I type this I'm absolutely covered in it. Just trying to find the best and fastest way to get rid of it.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can find the Tecnu anywhere - It will cut and remove the remaining ivy oil.

What is already in the skin is hard to get rid of. Ask a local pharmacy what they have.

mullins87

Threads
Burt's Bees brand Poison Ivy Soap has worked well for me in the past.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Didn't know that Burt's Bees made a poison Ivy Soap, but their stuff is generally GOOD ! I'd try it if you can find it ! :thumbsup:

mullins87

Threads
Well, I'm not terribly allergic to the stuff, but I do get it from time to time. I've tried a few poison ivy treatments, but Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap has worked really well for me. Around here I can find it in pharmacies and little specialty shops. I don't know if any of the big retailers carry it.

RickO

Threads
Poison Ivy and I do not mix well together. Since we moved here 3 years ago, I have been in a pitched battle against the stuff. We had 1.5 acres of lawn (P.Ivy on all four sides) and now, after knocking down the overgrown fields we have over 4.5 that I need to keep after. In the past I was using a spot sprayer and attacking 2-3 times a week. Problem is the sprayer only shoots 8-10 feet so my battle is unending at 10 feet at a time. I am about to put together an attachment for my tractor so I can hang a 16 gallon ATV sprayer on the back of my Craftsman PGT9000. (In another thread,) I was told that 2-4-D will work to kill the Poison Ivy. I expect this will be a multi year endeavor but the fight against P.Ivy takes a long time. The stuff is nasty and hardy. Take all the precautions that you can read about just by typing Poison Ivy in the browser.

RickO

Threads
One more thing. All these soaps that are intended to break down the Poison Ivy oil, (Ershoil <sp?>) are REALLY over priced. Fact is it's an oil. Go to your local auto parts store and by some of that Orange Mechanics hand cleaner. It EXCELS at removing grease and oil. Oil is the enemy with Poison Ivy. For 4-6 dollars, you can get rid of the oil instead of spending a small fortune on something that is advertised to remove Poison Ivy oil. Making up the numbers but they might be accurate; Mechanics hand cleaner 10-15 cents an ounce, Poison Ivy soap - $1.50 - $2.00 an ounce. Not sure of the numbers but I am sure of the price gouging.