Earthworms?

mystreba

Threads
we should try to look out for the really big ones. If we see so many big earthworms then there might be some infestation going on and it won't be good for the plants.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think size matters:rolleyes: Worms are good for plants, no matter how big the worms get.

mystreba

Threads
I must live an a depressed area, because my earthworms seem to be suicidal. Anytime it rains heavily, they come out of the soil by the dozens and head straight for the pool. After a storm I have to skim them off the bottom.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anytime it rains heavily, they come out of the soil by the dozens and head straight for the pool..

Actually they are coming up because they will drownd if they stay under flooded earth. I'm sure they are not deliberately aiming for more water... but that happens. Robins like to walk around looking for escapees:tongue:. KennyV

Greenblades

Threads
I wonder if some of the people whose grass is dying is because the chemicals the people who lived there before killed off the earthworms and now there is not enough aeration in the soil...Is that a possibility?

cren

Threads
Not to hijack this thread or anything but I am curious, is it possible to re-treat a past treated (by chemicals only) lawn? And if so, how exactly would you start something like that?

noma

Threads
Hi I know earth worms are good ,but when you get to many then it seams like the lawn is very rough when you mow that's what's happening on my lawn. I have all kinds of worms and the ground is very rough maybe i have a different kind of worm or something is that possible? I'm not really happy with the rough lawn, any way to help make it smoother again, like pulling a roller or aerator or dethatcher over it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi any way to help make it smoother again,

Aereation is always good , roll after seeding .... BUT to level it out and smooth it 'top dress' using sand or a mixture of sand and compose. KennyV

Greenblades

Threads
When I was on another forum looking on how to level my very pitted lawn, there seemed to be a consensus that rolling was bad, bad, bad to smooth a lawn. Don't know about reseeding.

I'm not sure at all how to unchemical a lawn, except to maybe plant plants who's roots are known to take up those chemicals...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rolling will compact your ground ... not good... But if you aerate well then reseed , then roll to get the seed to contact the earth well and water often...
Without reseeding or over seeding I would skip the rolling. And just aerate then top dress.

I think rain and sun shine breaks down almost all the chemicals you can find on a lawn... Even those that have been over applied . KennyV