Earthworms?

JimmyWeb

Threads
Are earthworms vital to your lawns heath? I'm not really sure what there purpose is other than to be food. Do they benefit your lawn or do they have no effect?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You bet they benefit it, natural aeration and fertilizer... but they usually are not in a lawn because of all the chemicals that are applied. KennyV

mamaA

Threads
Yep, as the previous poster mentioned, they help with aeration. They work wonders when it comes to keeping soil healthy! We have worms all over our yard (my kids are always finding them) and flower beds. In fact I had one crawl over my toe in the garden yesterday morning! :laughing:

monica123

Threads
I always leave the worms because they are a healthy alternative to some things to be putting on my lawn, I rather the worms than some harsh chemicals.

BlueGrass

Threads
Worms are excellent for your lawn and your garden and don't forget your compost. These little slimy guys eat just about anything and make the soil your lawn is on nice and rich.

JimmyWeb

Threads
If you work hard and keep a chemical free lawn I'm sure they are still there. I recently dug up a part of my side yard and found them in bunches.

You bet they benefit it, natural aeration and fertilizer... but they usually are not in a lawn because of all the chemicals that are applied. KennyV

ReggieDeere

Threads
If all that is true then my yard must be in great shape. I keep a chemical free yard, and I have tons of earth worms swimming around in my dirt/clay. No wonder my yard looks so good.:smile:

If you work hard and keep a chemical free lawn I'm sure they are still there. I recently dug up a part of my side yard and found them in bunches.

RockHound

Threads
Yeah for earthworms!! Every time I lift up something that's been sitting in my lawn for a while, like a lawn ornament, they are everywhere. If I ever want to go fishing, they're right there for me!:thumbsup:

Helper

Threads
Good for you RockHound. I played with earthworms when I was a kid and I still like them until now.

Although I agree that earthworms are great for the soil, we should try to look out for the really big ones. If we see so many big earthworms then there might be some infestation going on and it won't be good for the plants.