DYT 4000 blade indexing grit/click under rotation by hand

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / DYT 4000 blade indexing grit/click under rotation by hand
Craftsman 917.273621 running and cutting ok, but upon sharpening blades and rotating them underneath by hand an indexing "notch" is felt by hand. When the tension rod is released this notch feeling is gone. The deck is strung up now on a cherry picker and the unloaded pulleys and spindles feel good. The engine drive belt has several half breaks, but on such a long belt is does not seem these are the source of the grit/spots. This situation has been noted in previous years but not enough to look at. Since the tension rod also loads down the engine drive pulley I wonder about it . Without the clutch engaged is there a clutch bearing which runs continously? Perhaps I should pull the plugs and rotate that pulley. The rider is 2004 vintage and probably has over 700 hrs. Diagnosis is greatly appreciated. (I'm thinking perhaps a bearing separator or ball has been destroyed and rides free (no grit) until tensioned.

BTW as a service to some out there I looked for the spindle bearings. They are available from the Chinese (dirt floor mfg said one supplier) at $1.25 each. Good Japanese bearings @ $7 out to the (same?) bearings offered by merchants at $29 each. I think the spindle bearing is probably the same as the loose bearing at the top, generic 6203-2RS. Auto stores carry them for alternator repair NAPA $13. There is an electric motor store here with a Japan bearing for $7. The metric designation is 17 x 40 x 12 mm. It fits many , but not all spindles.