Drive belt replacement

mathissteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a srx95, had a bad drive belt,,about impossible to get belt off of pulley above the axle housing,old belt had portion of vee missing,managed to get old one off, new belt ,can't seem to get belt over the tin shield that has 2 flaps to keep it from jumping. Loosened axle on left, but when axle drops, the top pulley comes with it, so no improvement of space between pulleys. Couldn't find srx95 in any how- tos. Help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Undo the nut-remove the bolt
lift the pulley up till it clears the belt keepers
slide the belt into the pulley groove
slide pulley down
refit bolt then tighten nut

FWIW
I flip the bolt so I can hold it in position with one hand while manipulating the pulley & belt with the other one ( a 3rd paw would help )
That way I don't end up with the keeper in the wrong position or spending way too long trying to get that spacer in the right place .

mathissteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Undo the nut-remove the bolt
lift the pulley up till it clears the belt keepers
slide the belt into the pulley groove
slide pulley down
refit bolt then tighten nut

FWIW
I flip the bolt so I can hold it in position with one hand while manipulating the pulley & belt with the other one ( a 3rd paw would help )
That way I don't end up with the keeper in the wrong position or spending way too long trying to get that spacer in the right place .
I must have missed something, the pulley does not have enough clearance to the main drive pulley, can't take bolt out,no clearance for removal. There is a spacer under it to keep it at correct height. I will ck when I get back to shop,to verify pulley above is not repositionable to allow bolt to be pulled from axle housing completely.

mathissteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
I must have missed something, the pulley does not have enough clearance to the main drive pulley, can't take bolt out,no clearance for removal. There is a spacer under it to keep it at correct height. I will ck when I get back to shop,to verify pulley above is not repositionable to allow bolt to be pulled from axle housing completely.
Finally got the belt on the 3pulleys on the left side of undercarriage, now, doesn't seem like quite enough slack to make it over the pulley on right. The tensioner is. At full slack. Cannot seem to get on any JD info pages for main drive belt diagram. I'm so over working on all my mowers, plan to get a brand new one, sell all my old stuff if can get them working to b worth something.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Instructions are in the OM. Must remove secondary belt first and install it last if changing the primary belt. Instructions are a little jumbo so through at least a couple times.
They start on PDF page 88 [manual page 84]

SRX95 Owners Manual

mathissteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Instructions are in the OM. Must remove secondary belt first and install it last if changing the primary belt. Instructions are a little jumbo so through at least a couple times.
They start on PDF page 88 [manual page 84]

SRX95 Owners Manual
I guess I finally figured out why I had so much difficulty with this- somebody had this thing far enough apart, to install the idler bolt from the top down, there's no way to get it out,as the bolt cannot go up enough to remove,there's only about a half inch clearance on the top side. When I loosened the transaxle, all the affected pulleys are on the same mounting, no movement from idler to gain more space - fought hard to finally weasel the belt in between idler and upper pulleys. Now I've got it almost assembled,other than pulley on the right. Sure do appreciate all the info,and pdf.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess I finally figured out why I had so much difficulty with this- somebody had this thing far enough apart, to install the idler bolt from the top down, there's no way to get it out,as the bolt cannot go up enough to remove,there's only about a half inch clearance on the top side. When I loosened the transaxle, all the affected pulleys are on the same mounting, no movement from idler to gain more space - fought hard to finally weasel the belt in between idler and upper pulleys. Now I've got it almost assembled,other than pulley on the right. Sure do appreciate all the info,and pdf.
Now you see why I flip that bolt over
After that I still had to modify a spanner to fit, now if I can only remember where I put it .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It right in front of you...if like me looking for a tool I need.

It like a pair of Hemos I laid down one evening and couldn't find the next morning. I had to buy another pair. My luck goes they arrived and find the others. I got go back to putting thing back right away so I can find them later.