Does anyone know the difference between a k301 and a k321 Carburetor?

123tim

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Does anyone know the difference between a k301 and a k321 Carburetor?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between a k301 and a k321 carburetor? I have two tractors with kohler engines (one is a k301 and the other is a k321) and the carbs on both were bad. I replaced the carb on the k301 and when I replaced it, I noticed that it looked identical to the carb on the k321 so I just ordered another from the same vendor. The carb works great on the k321 except that every once in a while it leaks gas from a hole inside the carb. When this happens the engine starts to sputter and stops sputtering when the leak stops.

After looking online I see that there is a seperate carb made for the k321. I know that the 301 is a 12hp engine and that the 321 is a 14hp engine. The 321 seems to work great with the carb made for a 301.

I have two questions:
1.) Will the 321 work properly with the 301 carb? (I've read that engines will run hotter if they are lean on gas.)
2.) Could the gas leak be caused by the 321 having a fuel pump instead of the gravity feed that my 301 engine has? (more fuel pressure?) (I was thinking that the bowl needle valve is getting hung up, but now I'm not so sure.)

Thank you for any help. I really appreciate it.
Regards, Tim

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The answer to your first question is maybe, and the answer to your second question is possible. What is the spec number of both engines to compare what carb was used on what engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would have said 20 but I have a weird sense of humour .