Do you use a roller?

Wayne195

Threads
Do any of you guys roll your lawns regularly? I rolled my yard in the spring of 2010, but it does'nt seem like it was very effective. That was the first time I did it for at least five years, would I have better resolts if I did it regularly, every spring?:confused:

LandN

Threads
Do any of you guys roll your lawns regularly? I rolled my yard in the spring of 2010, but it does'nt seem like it was very effective. That was the first time I did it for at least five years, would I have better resolts if I did it regularly, every spring?:confused:

I have rolled my yard once in the last 15 yrs. i had heard that rolling regularly/yearly was not a good idea. By compacting the soil (escpecially during wet season) would make it harder for the grass roots to get water and air and be more susceptable to desease. i suppose that if you had a few mole hills and ant hills you could roll them out.:smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you roll , follow up with an Aerator. :smile:KennyV

Wayne195

Threads
If you roll , follow up with an Aerator. :smile:KennyV

That's what I was thinking, it helps loosen the soil again. The problem is ... I don't have one!:ashamed:

jenkinsph

Threads
I roll the grass seed initially but not on existing lawns. I would rather use a light landplane or rear blade turned backwards to smooth out minor divets. Good core aerators are expensive tools for the homeowner to buy, maybe you can rent one? I have used the Bluebird walk behind for small yards years ago and it worked very well.

JumpingJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been rolling parts of my lawn every year, but on my roller I have pegs spread all around, which will dig holes into the ground and allow air for the roots.

If I compare the two parts of my yard, my rolled area looks fresher and grows better. I am not sure if adding the pegs makes a huge difference, but it was a suggestion from a friends-friend many years back.

jenkinsph

Threads
I have been rolling parts of my lawn every year, but on my roller I have pegs spread all around, which will dig holes into the ground and allow air for the roots.

If I compare the two parts of my yard, my rolled area looks fresher and grows better. I am not sure if adding the pegs makes a huge difference, but it was a suggestion from a friends-friend many years back.

I suspect the pegs you speak of are what is helping your lawn not the roller. I would think you have a clay soil which doesn't need further compaction.

JumpingJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would think you have a clay soil which doesn't need further compaction.

Yes, if the ground is clayish, and the pegged roller is opening it up. I have never had a yard where I needed to roll it just to keep the soil compacted. I guess in these instances going with a normal roller would be well adviced, may bad on that one...Guess I was reading too quickly.

jenkinsph

Threads
Here are some pics of a yard I just cleaned up and the last pictures are after rolling the new seed in. The second and the last picture were taken from approximately the same position. Lots of rocks to remove and time smoothing the whole area. The deer in the pictures help out too, the more brush they eat the less I have to haul away. This was finished Monday evening and today we had about 8 inches of snowfall, more overnight and tomorrow.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just picked up a (new to me) roller this last wkend, as it is it's 16 foot wide with each roller 2 ft diameter & Heavy...
I'm going to see what I can do with it this spring... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• RollerPacker1JPG.JPG
    RollerPacker1JPG.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 13