Do you let your kids ride your mower?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
How old are these Kids we are talking about?

I think some one rightly commented on that earlier...
The age is going to vary according to the particular individuals, both parent and kid...
Some kids are going to have very little interest in things and others are going to be right in the thick of whatever is going on.... parents 'generally' know where their children fall in those things.

But the parent no matter how protective, needs to allow for some exposure to 'normal' daily hazards of life. And general responsibilities... and I think for the most part they are. :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
I think some one rightly commented on that earlier...
The age is going to vary according to the particular individuals, both parent and kid...
Some kids are going to have very little interest in things and others are going to be right in the thick of whatever is going on.... parents 'generally' know where their children fall in those things.

But the parent no matter how protective, needs to allow for some exposure to 'normal' daily hazards of life. And general responsibilities... and I think for the most part they are. :smile:KennyV

The Parents are responsible for their childrens developmental behaviour and that will always be unique to those families.......so thank your parents for keeping you alive.:eek:

smitty6398

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the late 70's, I investigated personal injury accidents for my employer-IH. Most accidents were attributable to the injured party being unfamiliar with the equipment; OR so familiar that they became complacent and forgot how dangerous a situation they were placing themselves in. I now have my own little lawnmower repair shop and often disuade parents and grandparents from allowing young ones from being around mowing equipment of any kind. The responsible adult should be the one to make the decision on this matter for each of the children involved (some seem to mature quicker than others). My son was in high school before I let him use the pushmower or the rider, after fully explaining their function and use. It's really true-they all have to grow up sometime-it's our responsibility to see that they do.

lizard

Threads
Remember 'Death is Permanent'................Please supervise your Children in the Occupational , Safety of all aspects of Lawn Mowing.:eek:

Mean Machine

Threads
Our neighbor had a baby about a year ago and er husband has to be away frequently with his job. They have a ton of mowing to do, so she got one of those "baby backpack" things, puts the baby in it and gets on the mower. She even puts those wax earplugs in his ears for hearing protection!

carl22

Threads
My daughter is 12 going on 21 and she uses my mower to mow by herself. But I do agree that it's a dangerous machine and small children (around 8 and younger) have no business even being in the yard at the same time the mower is operating

minkyung

Threads
There are always hazards when one has equipment at home. Having a car for example require safety. A driving safety instructor here says, "always go around your car before you go inside and drive, especially when driving from home. " It is important to be cautious with mowers too.

But to be very paranoid is not good also. Balance is important.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is important to be cautious with mowers too.

But to be very paranoid is not good also. Balance is important.

you are absolutely right... :smile:KennyV