Do you change your Hydraulic System Filt & Oil?

Abrahamm

Threads
Or have it done by the dealer?

I'm the proud new owner of a Toro MX5060 and the only thing maintenance-wise that causes me to gulp is this one.

Right now, I'm thinking I'm really glad I bought my ZTR from a dealer cuz I think I'll have him do this particular chore, though maybe I'm making more of it than it justifies. However, I'm no mechanic as my aptitude for anything more than very simple maintenance is poor. I've proven it more than once....

As one of Clint Eastwood's characters once stated: "A man's gotta know his limitations!" - and in my case, I'm not afraid to admit it. My mechanical limitations are vast!

So, do you do this chore of have it done?

P.S. One of the other reasons I'm scared to do this bit of maintenance comes straight out of the manual: "Failure to properly perform this procedure can result in IRREPARABLE damage to the transaxle drive system"

Ay Yi Yi!

possum

Threads
Well it looks pretty straight forward in the manual . Nice mower by the way. Since it does not have to be done for another 400 hours I see no reason to be bashful about having the service done at the dealer.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have changed alot of them its really no harder than changing engine oil :/ drain hydro oil my scags filter is on the bottom so we just drain oil out the filter hole get the right size hydro filter from the dealer or local auto parts store make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter (i havent noticed before untill there was a puddle of hydro oil on my floor no two gaskets are not better than one) put on new filter like an oil filter and fill to proper level run the machine sometimes it takes a little moving around to get the oil in the lines be patient and keep it moving forward reverse itll work its way in. When your done and it feels back up to full speed turn it off check level and good to go.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your post, this is one job a would have your dealer do. It does not have to be done that often and the peace of mind that you have will be worth it. Second thought would be to ask your dealer to let you watch how it's done the first time and then you can make up you mind if you want to tackle it in the future.

HarryHarley

Threads
Rivets is spot on with his advice. And, once you feel confident to do yourself, you'll know the job was done right. As much as I've recommended dealers to do the work, they can mess up too.

Abrahamm

Threads
Thanks for all the great replies.

It doesn't have to be done until after the first 50 hours are reached and not again until after 400 hours.

It won't be very long until I reach 50 hours and yes, if they'll let me, I'll watch the dealer's mechanic do it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
From your post, this is one job a would have your dealer do. It does not have to be done that often and the peace of mind that you have will be worth it. Second thought would be to ask your dealer to let you watch how it's done the first time and then you can make up you mind if you want to tackle it in the future.

Hey Rivets you're the Toro man, have a question on this subject. As you know I bought the Toro Grandstand and would like to know about the Hydro Filter replacement. I'll be using the Mobil 1 15w50 for fluid but I need to know where I can get the Toro Hydro filter, mine has to be changed ever 250 hrs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric, Any Toro dealer should be able to get it for you. Part # 114-3494. It should be a 25 micron filter. Mobil 1 should work great. I would replace at each fluid change. I would reduce the change interval to 200 hr. if you ever run into extremely dry conditions (your location I doubt it) or continuous use in temps over 90 degrees for close to the 200 hr. (possible in your area). You have a good unit, good luck.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
I called my local dealer a couple of months ago about getting mine changed, he said man you can do this yourself and walked me thru it step by step. I guess he did this because he was 50 miles away each way and it was extremely easy.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is not really anything you can really do that will hurt the mower unless you dont put enough in (which is kinda hard mostly fill the reservoir) and check for leaks and the gasket thing i said earlier