Do it yourself fertilizer application or national chain service?

loco-diablo

Threads
  • / Do it yourself fertilizer application or national chain service?
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on DIY fertilizer application vs hiring a national chain such as Trugreen or Scotts. I'd also like to know peoples satisfaction level of said services.

My thoughts are as follows. I used to go out and purchase the 4 step program plus grub control and apply it myself. The problem was, come October, I'd have one application too many still laying around in the garage. It seemed that on many occasions, I'd either forget or the weather would be bad, etc..

A few years ago I decided to try a lawn care service again. I must say I'm pretty satisfied with the results. In fact last year I can't count on one hand the number of dandelions I had in my lawn. If I add it all up, I figure it costs me about $150 more per season than doing it myself, but I think it's well worth it in my circumstance.

As a software engineer, I work an average of 50/60 hours per week. The last thing I want to do on a beautiful summer Saturday is get out the spreader and start laying down fertilizer. I'd rather jump on my Harley and go for a nice long rip!

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a lawn care guy who applies fertilizer I think the guy mowing your lawn should be knowledgeable about how much fertilizer to use. I get all my lawns to visibly grow enough to be cut weekly without it growing to fast. Sometimes this takes half doses, heavy doses or certain fertilizer. I carry quick kik 30-5-5, workhorse gold(slow release nitrogen) 20-11-15, organic pro rich with iron(granular we have serious acidic problems up here with all our pine trees) I take a look at the lawn how it's growing and determine what it needs. I do this everyday on many lawns.

I'm not saying a homeowner wouldn't know this. But doubt they can replicate the knowledge and experience of a service who only wants what's best for your lawn

loco-diablo

Threads
As a lawn care guy who applies fertilizer I think the guy mowing your lawn should be knowledgeable about how much fertilizer to use. I get all my lawns to visibly grow enough to be cut weekly without it growing to fast. Sometimes this takes half doses, heavy doses or certain fertilizer. I carry quick kik 30-5-5, workhorse gold(slow release nitrogen) 20-11-15, organic pro rich with iron(granular we have serious acidic problems up here with all our pine trees) I take a look at the lawn how it's growing and determine what it needs. I do this everyday on many lawns.

I'm not saying a homeowner wouldn't know this. But doubt they can replicate the knowledge and experience of a service who only wants what's best for your lawn

Hi Exotion -
Thanks for the informative feedback. What you say makes perfect sense. I, as a homeowner have absolutely no idea what my lawn may need for nutrients or what the soil may need
to balance it.

My guy came yesterday and put down a '25-0-5 .28% Barricade'.

He also left me a few comments regarding upcoming care, but nothing regarding any type of soil analysis.

MowerMark

Threads
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on DIY fertilizer application vs hiring a national chain such as Trugreen or Scotts. I'd also like to know peoples satisfaction level of said services.

My thoughts are as follows. I used to go out and purchase the 4 step program plus grub control and apply it myself. The problem was, come October, I'd have one application too many still laying around in the garage. It seemed that on many occasions, I'd either forget or the weather would be bad, etc..

A few years ago I decided to try a lawn care service again. I must say I'm pretty satisfied with the results. In fact last year I can't count on one hand the number of dandelions I had in my lawn. If I add it all up, I figure it costs me about $150 more per season than doing it myself, but I think it's well worth it in my circumstance.

As a software engineer, I work an average of 50/60 hours per week. The last thing I want to do on a beautiful summer Saturday is get out the spreader and start laying down fertilizer. I'd rather jump on my Harley and go for a nice long rip!

As a lazy American, I do it all myself? for better or worse. Eating and lawn care are my only exercises!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a home owner you can do your own soil analysis basics. According to a lab tech., this basic chemical test would be the same as a lab would use. The soil structure test probably won't be done in the labs but you can work with your county extension office for information on that part and also the amounts of chemicals needed also.

Attachments

• soil test samples 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test samples 4-17-09.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6
  • soil test chart 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test chart 4-17-09.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 6
  • soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 8

rarebear

Threads
I tried a home analysis this year and was a mistake..
With orange clay it tints the water super orange and never settles..
With out a loam or sand soil it just can't work on clay..

I'll just pay the $20 and let the U of GA extension service here in the county do the testing..

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya if your going to do a soil test just get someone with a degree to do it. Up here I am lucky to know that we have millions of pine trees that make soil acidic. I throw iron down and transform lawns

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe home kits are marginal. Directed to a local "expert" lawn garden shop I took in a soil sample and was told it was fine. It wasn't. A test lab found low Ph (acidic) and prescribed 800 lbs of lime. Please explain how iron reduces acid. The lab results also showed the fertilizer I was using put down one element which was in excess in the soil. I guess lawns can ignore some excesses, and not others.

rarebear

Threads
Low PH locks up (plants can't access the Iron in the soil..
Adding iron may help but I don't think it raises the PH..

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No it doesn't raise ph but fertilizer with iron costs the same and a treatment every 6 weeks keeps their lawns healthy. To raise it I would need to till in some healthy soil with steer manure most people don't want to do that