Dixie Chopper 2008 Silver Eagle power problem

Barkboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I have a Chopper SE with a generac 27hp that seems to lose power as I cut. I can usually get about an hours worth but then I need to bring in a power pack to jump it.

My meter gauge was broke so I bought a new one and I noticed this as I drove. (Unfortunately the meter went on me again this year, I still have lights but the screen is shot $80 down the drain :thumbdown: ) I purchased this used and I was cutting last year and after about an hour with the blades engaged it just shut down on me and I couldn't get it to start. I needed to get a power pack to jump it.

I bought a new battery this year and it seems to do the same thing. If I keep the battery on a charger prior to cutting it seems to run longer.

What could be causing the shutdown of the mower and loss of voltage while driving?

Thanks

gainestruk

Threads
You might have alternator going bad on engine, if you can get a multi meter (cheap one ok mine cost $35 at Sears)
Set it on VDC and put red on positive black on negative on battery terminals if battery good shape it will show 12.5 or around that,if less tha 12 battery needs charged.
Now start mower and check battery again it should be around 14
(As reference my mower was 12.5 not running and 14.66 running)
13 or less alternator not making enough power to run clutch and keep battery charged.

Don't start throwing parts at engine till you test, a multi meter is a lot cheaper than alternator !
Let us know what you find.

Barkboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Gainstruck......appreciate the response :thumbsup:

I was thinking it could possibly be something like an alternator but wasn't sure how these engines are put together.....seems like it doesn't hold charge or self charge so that would make sense. Sometimes there doesn't seem like enough power to engage the blades when it does start. I bought the new battery because when I bought the mower used I wasn't sure how old it was.

Ill check it out this weekend when I get home