Dip stick tube seal

melvin1942

Threads
I have a problem with the dip stick tube seal on my Briggs Vanguard 18 HP engine. I have replaced it 4 times once when I overhauled the engine and 3 times since then. 2 times I could not find any of the seal where they went I do not know. The last time the seal was there but was split. I would like to know what the tap size is in the block. I am going to try to make a seal that will last.

Model - 356442
Type - 0224-B1
Code - 09011911

Thank you for your time.

melvin1942

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Results operators manual & parts list. Two seals are listed, correct seal is below, B&S part # 693172.

Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton 693172 Dipstick Tube Seal Replacement Part : Lawn And Garden Tool Replacement Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden This is correct seal for dipstick tube located in parts list pages 11 & 32. I would wipe clean threaded boss in block with shop rag and inspect for burrs etc. as well as dipstick tube itself, pick up a tube of high temp. permatex or 3m compound put on threads & install new seal.
Check breather tube at backside of air filter assembly to block for being stopped up.

Last edited:

melvin1942

Threads
Results operators manual & parts list. Two seals are listed, correct seal is below, B&S part # 693172.

Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton 693172 Dipstick Tube Seal Replacement Part : Lawn And Garden Tool Replacement Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden This is correct seal for dipstick tube located in parts list pages 11 & 32. I would wipe clean threaded boss in block with shop rag and inspect for burrs etc. as well as dipstick tube itself, pick up a tube of high temp. permatex or 3m compound put on threads & install new seal.

Mark 693172 is the part number I am using. I used this part all 4 times.

melvin1942

gainestruk

Threads
Like mechanic mark said check breather tube on back of air filter to block to see if it's plugged, if it is it will cause excessive pressure inside engine and can cause seal to leak or even push tube out.