Difficulty cold starting mower

scott_

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last season I started having trouble starting my mower between cuts. I found a problem in the ignition switch and I replaced it. I continued to have problems with starting the mower between cuts. I replaced the starter, problem continued. The battery has tested good. The mower typically starts easily if I turn it off and turn it back on within a couple of minutes. But if it sits too long sometimes I have to click the key 100 times before it gets a connection and turns over.

I'm hoping to find someone with a similar issue that can save me some time. It sounds like a lose connection. I'm guessing as it heats up the metal expands and makes a better connection (this would make sense with issues on a cold start). But I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are we guessing on what we are working on? Model number of it and motor?

scott_

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are we guessing on what we are working on? Model number of it and motor?

Sorry about that. Gravely 915154 (ZT XL 42"). Motor is Kawasaki FR651V 22.0

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you made sure that the connection of battery ground wire to chassis is very clean and tight? Common problem is that this connection will loosen and get dirty.

scott_

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you made sure that the connection of battery ground wire to chassis is very clean and tight? Common problem is that this connection will loosen and get dirty.

I can check that this evening. Thanks for your reply.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because you ae there & we are here, a little clearer description will help.
1) when you turn the key do you hear the solenoid click, or a relay click ?
2) does the starter actually engage but not turn the engine around, or not engage at all ?

Describe what is happening as if you were talking to a blind person becuse in effect that is what we are.

scott_

Forum Newbie
Threads
Because you ae there & we are here, a little clearer description will help.
1) when you turn the key do you hear the solenoid click, or a relay click ?
2) does the starter actually engage but not turn the engine around, or not engage at all ?

Describe what is happening as if you were talking to a blind person becuse in effect that is what we are.

Great Question! - I am hearing a relay or solenoid click. The starter does not engage at all. I hear click, click, click, engage. Sometimes I click it five times, sometimes I click it 50 times.

Keep the questions coming. I think that should clear up what I'm experiencing, but I could be wrong.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put your finger on the starter solenoid.
You will fell it clicking.
How many terminal on you solenoid, 3 or 4 ?

scott_

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put your finger on the starter solenoid.
You will fell it clicking.
How many terminal on you solenoid, 3 or 4 ?

I'll have to check this at lunch today. I'm not sure.