Difference between Home Depot vs. dealer equipment

RJL1

Threads
  • / Difference between Home Depot vs. dealer equipment
I remember hearing a few years ago that if you bought a John Deere lawn tractor at Lowes or Home Depot they're not made to the standards as the machines at actual John Deere dealerships. Is this true? I'm beginning to start my research for purchasing a new lawn tractor next spring. My 42" Craftsman is ten years old now and I'm certain things will start to break.

Thanks

Bob

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The few JD machines that I have serviced lately were sold from Home Depot. I normally don't service JD machines, but I make an exception for family members which is not always the best decision!!!!
They were part for part shown in JD parts manuals and the only indication that I saw was an orange tag hanging underneath that had Home Depot and their part number on the tag.
I was able to purchase mower deck parts from my local JD dealer, once the deck serial number range was determined. Briggs and Kohler engine parts are readily available.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are the exact some mowers. Made by the same people at the same place. With the same parts.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Read This Article: Make your own call on whether there the same or not.

Price Point Mowers

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Read This Article: Make your own call on whether there the same or not. Price Point Mowers

Now go to Home Depot and pick a mower.
Then go ask the dealer to order you one.
The mowers will be the same right down to model number and price.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A more important question is why a john Deere?

You can get much more mower for the same price. With any other brand.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you believe "The magic Pudding" is a refference manual rather than an item of childrens fiction then the blind answer is no they are exacty the same.
However if you live in the real world you will understand that there is a finite amount of profit in making a product that can be dipped into to provide merchants mark downs.
Then we have cost efficiencies in scale so making 100,000 units can end up being 10% cheaper per unit than making 50,000 units however this can also go backwards once you have surpassed your most efficient production volume.
Then there are other costs. It is a lot cheaper per unit to send a full trailer load of mowers to a bulk distribution centre than it is to send 1 to a dealer.
Then there are finance costs, dealers get somewhere from 60 to 120 days free credit to pay for the mower so hopefully you pay for it before the dealer has to pay for it.
Big box stores usually pay on 30 to 60 days so JD gets more money faster so reduces their borrowing costs and these are astronomical for makers of highly seasonal products.

SO some companies can sell to big box identical products at the lower prices the big box will pay.

However usually the manufacturer will find some cost efficiencies or build down to a slightly lower spec and this is nearly always the case with lines that are exclusive to big box stores.
The amount that JD can tamper with the quality is proportional to the cost of making the modifications at the production line.
While you can save money by fitting say a cheaper starter motor, there is a cost associated with changing, ordering smaller quantities, adding another inventory line to your warehouse then the paper trail so some times it is not cost efficient to drop the specs.

This is what Honda claim for their walk behinds sold by big box companies and it may well be true.

OTOH common little tricks can be applied like pressing the parts out of slightly thinner steel which can increase the die life up to 60% which in effect knocks 30% everything that has come out of that press. Press dies can go anywhere up to $ 500,000 a set. So getting more out of them makes a big difference to the bottom line and is virtually undectiable by the purchaser, particularly if the part made from the thinner steel get a nice heavy powder coat so it feels thick between your fingers. I see this 5 years latter on where all the pivot holes get flogged out oval.

You see this with identical looking mowers branded differently and is easiest to detect by looking at the weights.
Check out the specs of each diffeent branded owed that comes out of the AYP tractor factory .
Price reduces proportionally with weight reductions.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The JD machines may be the same, but plumbing items and possibly others are not the same!!!
It for sure is about volume and quantity pricing!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now go to Home Depot and pick a mower.
Then go ask the dealer to order you one.
The mowers will be the same right down to model number and price.

Seems like that's what the article and the JD seller said. If you want to buy half the machine then well sell you one of those or go back down the hill to the orange building and get one. But that doesn't make the machine the same as he the JD dealer sells in his shop because he is not going to have or carry that model. I think that was the point of the article and Todd Fratzel on Landscaping was trying to make, you get what you pay for.

Count Rushmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
The machines are genuine JD and if the same model is sold at the local dealer they are identical.

These models however are on the lower end and thus the lower price.