Diesel doesn’t go in these ....

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Confirmed blown head gasket. Order a couple spare gaskets. That engine is a know head blower.

Portajon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Local shop, B&R Lawn Equipment, Plymouth, NC had the gasket in stock, $6. Had it back together and running before lunch.

Whew ... saved my mower. Now to teach the wife to always give a little sniff to what’s in the can before you assume ....

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Local shop, B&R Lawn Equipment, Plymouth, NC had the gasket in stock, $6. Had it back together and running before lunch.

Whew ... saved my mower. Now to teach the wife to always give a little sniff to what’s in the can before you assume ....
That’s great news.
I hope that you have different colored fuel cans.

Portajon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fun
That’s great news.
I hope that you have different colored fuel cans

Funny you mention the cans ...

I just bought a new compact tractor / loader / back hoe and was telling the wife I needed to get a couple yellow cans for diesel. That conversation came up while I was filling a red 5 gallon can with diesel to take to our boat. Our boat and tractor both have Yanmar diesels. The very next day I bought two yellow cans for the tractor but the red one still had maybe a half gallon of diesel in it after topping off the boat tank. I mean ... she had literally carried that can onto the boat the day before. And there were TWO other cans beside it, both with gasoline n them. Even not paying attention and forgetting the conversation we had just a few days ago she still had a two out of three blind chance to grab a can that had gas ....

But yeah ... diesel only goes the yellow cans from now on.

Rich M.

Threads
Great job. Glad you had the skill to do it yourself.

The wife was just helping you refine your small engine repair skills.

tunnelman

Forum Newbie
Threads
This happened to my dad about 30 years ago, A gas station accidently had diesel mixed with there gasoline. He drove it 7 miles home, the car would not start. I found that all the valves sticking open. Let it sit over night they would close. One revolution of the crank the next day they would hang open again. I pulled the head, (inline 6 cyl). Took it to the machine shop, they knew right away what the problem was and told us about the mix up at the gas station. I would check valve stems for build up of crude. I know it not a lawn mower, just thought I would pass a little info along.

mystic240

Threads
I had that once and a new spark plug did the trick.

Gord Baker

Threads
You should have immediately completely drained Fuel tank and lines and Float bowl. Replaced Fuel Filter.. Replace Spark Plug. Refill with a gallon of Fresh Gasoline. Bought flowers for Wifey. She owes you now. The diesel would not have harmed anything in the Carb.. Strange the head gasket blew. Good luck.

IaFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great job. Glad you had the skill to do it yourself.

The wife was just helping you refine your small engine repair skills.
"The wife" . . . .funny!

Threads
hope the alloy head wasn't too warped, i used to have a sheet of glass with wet n dry sand paper stuck to it & rub the head back & forth over it to try get a smooth/even surface, as mentioned previous - it may blow another gasket