Did I kill it?

thx712517

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took out the lawn mower (Craftsman push mower with B&S 550e motor) to mulch some leaves this afternoon. Got it started and after two feet of happy mowing, I struck a hidden stone. The stone was about one inch by two inches and the mower immediately shot out a cloud of black smoke and began making a horrifying metal clanking sound. I shut it off and took a look.

The blade has a notch in it but is otherwise okay. I don't feel any play in the blade. I took the cylinder head off and the bore looks clean for the full stroke of the piston with no sign of gouging. I buttoned it back up and started it again. Clanking that quieted down a bit but never fully went away. Did I blow up a bearing? Trash the crank? Time to tell wifey we need a new mower?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have possibly bent the crankshaft or the blade is hitting against a part of the deck.

You might also have sheared the flywheel key and the timing of the engine is knocked out which is still allowing starting but rough running.

primerbulb120

Threads
I also have had this happen to me. While mowing a tangle of vines (I should have used my wheeled string trimmer) I hit a stump. Black smoke issued from the muffler. After pulling my mower off of the stump, I attempted to restart it and could not turn it over. I inspected the underside of the deck and found that the blade was bent and could not turn, so I took it off and could not start the engine without the blade installed because of kickback. I installed a new blade and successfully started the engine, but the whole mower shook violently as it ran, for the crankshaft was bent. I took the blade and the self- propel adaptor off, turned the crankshaft until the bend was slanting up, slid a large piece of pipe over the crankshaft and hit it with a sledgehammer until it was mostly straightened. After starting the engine, I proceeded to mow the lawn with it, although the slightly bent crankshaft still caused the mower to vibrate. The vibrations caused a front wheel and the muffler to fall off. :laughing: After putting them back on, I straightened the crankshaft even more until it appeared straight. After having the other front wheel fall off, there have been no problems and the mower runs like it did before I hit the stump.
Like pugaltitude said, check the blade to see if it is hitting the mower deck. If it turns out that you have a bent crankshaft, hopefully you will be able to straighten it like I did with mine.