diabetes

tybilly

Threads
hi yall,I just want to let everyone know how important it is to have an A1c blood test done,ijust found out 3 weeks ago I am insulin resistant,i am on 8units of insulin a day,and on a low carb diet,and checking my blood gluclose twice aday,it sure was a kick in the pants

Nwatson99

Threads
Sorry to read this, what symptoms were you showing before you went to the Dr and found out?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
hi yall,I just want to let everyone know how important it is to have an A1c blood test done,ijust found out 3 weeks ago I am insulin resistant,i am on 8units of insulin a day,and on a low carb diet,and checking my blood gluclose twice aday,it sure was a kick in the pants

I found out 7 years ago.
Was thirsty all the time and had to pee every 10 mins. Went to the doctor my glucose was 825. I thought it was the end if the world.
I have found is easy to keep it under control without meds. I stay around 120 now. I did hours and hours of research.
Lipton diet green tea helps to lower your sugar. It's all I drink now.

Diabetes is nothing to play with. Get active and make your muscles work

tybilly

Threads
I was the same as carscw,I needed a new doctor for my addisons disease that ive had for over 25yrs,the wanted new blood test in order to see me,and A1c test showed up 10.9,wich a normal person is about 6.5 or so,my doc says my gluclose numbers have been good that im actually type 2 and could put me on oral meds,but since im on a low dose of insulin and with my family history she doesn't want to take the chance of getting ketonedosis so shes calling me type 1.you got lucky carscw,that is a dangerous level..but glad youre doing good,i felt like it was the end too,im still having a time accepting it,

173abn

Threads
I feel your pain.I went to the V.A. for routine lab work and the doc tells me I have diabetes.That was 2 months ago.He started me on an oral med.I went to the DAV and filed a claim for agent orange because the VA has determined it causes diabetes.I've since taken a class at the V.A. on diet so I'm adjusting my diet...russ

D

DSepe

Had a blood glucose of 986 when admitted to hospital. Had diabetic kedoacidosis and pancreatitis, and my hospital stay lasted 10 days. I was only 22 at the time and most doctors thought those complications would of put someone older (60+) in the dirt. Thankful I'm still here. If your thirsty and peeing more than usual chances are your diabetic. Told my doctor I could get it under control and I ended up taking meds for only 4 months and most recent A1C was 5.8 with no medication. Diet and exercise is all I needed.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had a blood glucose of 986 when admitted to hospital. Had diabetic kedoacidosis and pancreatitis, and my hospital stay lasted 10 days. I was only 22 at the time and most doctors thought those complications would of put someone older (60+) in the dirt. Thankful I'm still here. If your thirsty and peeing more than usual chances are your diabetic. Told my doctor I could get it under control and I ended up taking meds for only 4 months and most recent A1C was 5.8 with no medication. Diet and exercise is all I needed.

I used to feel bad for people with diabetes missing toes and 300 pounds drinking beer and eating cup cakes. And mad and saying diabetes is killing them. Now I am like no you are killing you.

Glad to gear you did things the right way.
It's not as bad as people think.
Eat right and don't be lazy.

D

DSepe

I used to feel bad for people with diabetes missing toes and 300 pounds drinking beer and eating cup cakes. And mad and saying diabetes is killing them. Now I am like no you are killing you. Glad to gear you did things the right way. It's not as bad as people think. Eat right and don't be lazy.

Exactly seeing people without limbs and grossly overweight at the clinic was all I needed for my motivation. The control is in your hands if your type 2....type 1 is completely different story of course.

Bison

Threads
One don't need to be overweight to have diabetes.
My wife is type 2 for the last ten years, she weighs only 150 lb.She keeps it under control with just meds and eating properly.
A friend of mine was/is skinny as a rail, weighs maybe 140.He got diagnosed a year ago and has to inject himself 3 times a day.
He was an alcoholic for many years but when he quit drinking the diabetes showed up,..Alcohol hides it.

D

DSepe

One don't need to be overweight to have diabetes. My wife is type 2 for the last ten years, she weighs only 150 lb.She keeps it under control with just meds and eating properly. A friend of mine was/is skinny as a rail, weighs maybe 140.He got diagnosed a year ago and has to inject himself 3 times a day. He was an alcoholic for many years but when he quit drinking the diabetes showed up,..Alcohol hides it.
Of course genetics play a role in some cases, including mine. The increase from 30 million type 2 diabetics in 1985 to 285 million 2014 would indicate obesity to be the main catalyst. I also wasn't obese just slightly overweight when diagnosed that's part of why it got so bad. My doctor couldn't believe I had diabetes after I got out of the hospital because in my small town he had never seen any type 2 except the extremely obese kind.