Defending ones self...

gfp55

Threads
Should people have to defend themselves because they can't explain clearly whats wrong with their mower/machine? If they could name all the parts and functions of said parts why are they asking for help. They don't understand what's wrong with their machine and can't explain it so others can help and then get attacked for not knowing the name or function of it. People will say sh-t on a forum that they would not say face to face to people because if they did we would get knocked into next week.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Should people have to defend themselves because they can't explain clearly whats wrong with their mower/machine? If they could name all the parts and functions of said parts why are they asking for help. They don't understand what's wrong with their machine and can't explain it so others can help and then get attacked for not knowing the name or function of it. People will say sh-t on a forum that they would not say face to face to people because if they did we would get knocked into next week.

Advise isnt free... it cost the giver years of thier life to gain the experience to give it to YOU for free. So I would have more respect.

If one doesnt know what all the parts are called or what they do they should not be trying it alone in the first place.

Forums like this save consumers money as it enables them to DIY. The very ppl giving you advise on here loose out as they all own or work for the shops that would be fixing it for you otherwise.

That been aid.... how can we help you?

RetiredGuns

Threads
People come to forums for many reasons. While there is no need for unnecessary harassment, a person should have basic knowledge in what they are asking. Posting something like "My engine won't start, what could it be?" is just plain lazy and inviting for a snicker or two.

I've become a heckuva driveway mechanic raising 2 Daughters with multiple used cars. I've had the laptop in the garage with a youtube video going more than once. Have saved thousands of dollars with the help from forums like this, Google & youtube.

gfp55

Threads
(lawnmowerJusten).....Is someone forcing you to give FREE advice? I give out advice to try to help folks and to pass it on. If someone knows all the answers does that give people the right to belittle the person asking the questions? I don't need help from you, but thanks. I'm talking about some others on this forum that get mean with people that ask questions, thats all. You are always are nice and civil.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Gfp55: I am definitely not condoning people being rude. But I do understand the frustration some members may have with the poor quality of info given when asking for help. No make or model and very vague description of fault is not acceptable.

No one is forcing us to give advise but members shouldnt have to pull teeth to help someone else. Thats just my opinion.

As for where i stand when it comes to sharingbknowledge I think my signature says it all.

Thanks for bringing up a good issue, I think there will be lots more discussion on this one.

gfp55

Threads
People come to forums for many reasons. While there is no need for unnecessary harassment, a person should have basic knowledge in what they are asking. Posting something like "My engine won't start, what could it be?" is just plain lazy and inviting for a snicker or two.

I've become a heckuva driveway mechanic raising 2 Daughters with multiple used cars. I've had the laptop in the garage with a youtube video going more than once. Have saved thousands of dollars with the help from forums like this, Google & youtube.
I understand, but lets say your daughters didn't have you to do that work for them and they go on a forum, do you think they are going to know what to say (use the right words) start out with the model # serial # etc? Service managers hear it all, do they say "are you lazy or what?......" You can always snicker latter with a cold one and talk about your day. I don't think people are naive on purpose.

gfp55

Threads
Gfp55: I am definitely not condoning people being rude. But I do understand the frustration some members may have with the poor quality of info given when asking for help. No make or model and very vague description of fault is not acceptable.

No one is forcing us to give advise but members shouldnt have to pull teeth to help someone else. Thats just my opinion.

As for where i stand when it comes to sharingbknowledge I think my signature says it all.

Thanks for bringing up a good issue, I think there will be lots more discussion on this one.
I agree with you!!! I'm not trying to make anyone mad and I hope no one takes me wrong.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

A lot of people come here that do not know how to fix their mower. And they do not know what any of the parts are. Or they use different terms for things.

Like my mower won't crank. To some it means engine will not turn over to others it means engine turns over but won't start.

This could be a good forum if people could leave their egos at the door. There are to many guys here that think the way they do things is the only and best way. But truth be told most would be lost without model numbers and a book.

I have Sean people ask for a model number just to tell someone how to take a tire off a wheel.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I understand, but lets say your daughters didn't have you to do that work for them and they go on a forum, do you think they are going to know what to say (use the right words) start out with the model # serial # etc? Service managers hear it all, do they say "are you lazy or what?......" You can always snicker latter with a cold one and talk about your day. I don't think people are naive on purpose.

Naive is fine and I never belittle anyone regardless of how they ask a question. I am simply saying that the folks that are needlessly lazy when seeking help should try to be as detailed as they can.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naive is fine and I never belittle anyone regardless of how they ask a question. I am simply saying that the folks that are needlessly lazy when seeking help should try to be as detailed as they can.

I don't think they are being lazy. I think they really think that all mowers are the same and there is only one thing that will prevent it from starting.