Mower deck deck will not re-engage after backing up

Lynn A

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to the forum. I have a rzt-42. The problem I have is after I've been mowing for awhile, and I back up, the deck won't re-engage. I have to turn the mower off for about 10 minutes. Then after restarting it will engage. Also it will do this if I turn the pto switch off. Has to cool down before it will work. I've replaced the pto switch. Still does it. Thanks for any info

Lynn A

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all of your no info help.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the clutch is over heating and has to cool down before re-engaging. Need to test the clutch when hot, unless you have electrical knowledge, I would take it to a repair shop and have them test it hot.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is the type of clutch that is adjustable, it may need adjusted. The adjustable ones have three nuts with springs under them. Get a feeler gauge and put in the little slot next to each bolt and adjust to .012. It takes a little trial and error to get it correct, but if the air gap is too wide they will not engage sometimes.

jk3700

Threads
Lynn A,

Did you ever get your problem resolved?

Thanks!
John

Lynn A

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not done anything to the clutch yet. I did remove the 2 back up switches from the paddles. Left them connected to the safety system. Tied them up out of the way so as not to get caught on anything. Now I can continue to mow without being afraid to back up and the blades won't re-engage. But if I turn the pto off to stop the deck after I've been mowing for awhile, still won't engage till it cools down a few minutes.

jk3700

Threads
Lynn A, I am intrigued with your problem. I have a brand new RZT-50 that would shut down the deck if I would pull back on both paddles. Then reengage when I moved the paddles forward. This really bothered me as I don't think that it does the deck system any good to shut down and start up if I decide to move a little backwards.

I, too, unhooked the paddle switches. The PTO would now not engage at all. I then made a little spade wire jumper and installed it so it would permanently connect the two wires on the switch on one side. This did solve the PTO not engaging at all. Also, this fixed the issue with the deck. It no longer shuts off the PTO when backing up.

Lynn A

Forum Newbie
Threads
To jk3700,
I left the wiring connected to the paddle switches and moved the switches away from the paddles. Since both paddles have to be moved back to disengage the deck, you could probably just move one switch. But I did move both of mine. Now I probably need to adjust the clutch or replace because when I turn off the pto when its hot it still won't re-engage the deck when I turn it back on until it cools for a few minutes. By the I need to take a break anyway. :)

jk3700

Threads
I wonder about the clutch being too hot for it to engage. This sounds like a pretty sophisticated setup for mower decks. I'd like to hear more about this.

If there are any mower techs reading this stuff, it would be nice to hear what happens when clutches are to loose or too tight, or even adjustable.

It just doesn't seem possible that there would be an electrical device to sense the temperature of the clutch and open the circuits that engage the PTO.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a cadet techie chime in.

Kenwells

Forum Newbie
Threads
My C/C 2145 does the same thing. I can engage the switch, I can hear the clutch trying to engage but just won't lock. I can let it cool a few minutes and continue mowing.
clutch001_zps441deb15.jpg