Deck issues

FAL

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't adjust the height on my old sears 42 lawn tractor deck; it's at its highest setting, but still cuts low and scalps when turning on a grade. I made the adjustments as per instructed. The blades are the same height from the floor. What am I missing or is a part missing, or what? Thanks.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't adjust the height on my old sears 42 lawn tractor deck; it's at its highest setting, but still cuts low and scalps when turning on a grade. I made the adjustments as per instructed. The blades are the same height from the floor. What am I missing or is a part missing, or what? Thanks.

How many inches are the blade cutting edges from the floor at the highest setting.

Real Frank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model # 917.271071
The blades are, 2 1/4 on right, 2 3/4 on left.
My neighbor borrowed it a year ago and he hit something and he bent the blade. No idea what damage he did? I had to change one of the mandrels because of this.

Darragh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like your deck might be out of shape. New mandrels but the bolt positions are not correct.

Real Frank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure what you mean? The bolts are the same as the old. Why doesn't the deck lift higher? If it shows 5 1/2 ", the cut stays the same...too low. And why would it scalp on a grade on turns? Thanks for your help. frank

Real Frank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark, I did that. Something, outside of my technical skills, is missing. I'll check it again...and again. f

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This may sound strange but have you checked the tire pressures. Low tires can cause the low mowing, and the scalping on turns.

Real Frank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not strange at all, but not the issue; the deck doesn't go up the way it used too?? Thanks, frank