Deck Height Slips - Cub Cadet 33" Wide Cut Walk Behind - Home Depot line.....

jaw2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Deck Height Slips - Cub Cadet 33" Wide Cut Walk Behind - Home Depot line.....
Hi,

I am new here, and will try to keep this short (not likely though).

Background - had a Sears Craftsman 33" walk behind - from when they were dark green say about 2001 ish?

For my needs it was nearly perfect, but after a while, I decided to get a small rider.

Cut to now, we have moved I have a flatter yard, fewer obstables and about 1/2 acre. Purchased a less than 1 year old used (under 20 hours according to the device) Cub Cadet version of the same mower. It's yellow now, has a battery start (I just replaced the battery) and last week, took it for a 'test mow.' Life is good - well, not so fast, life is ok, but the )&#)%& deck height handle/bracket (or both) well it won't hold the deck - so I am mowing and next thing I know I have a deck on teh ground and 2 to 4 ft of scalped lawn.

I contacted CC and they want me to bring it to a local repair guy (they always answer this way eh?), well that's not that easy - I can't easily get the thing in a vehicle to do this.

So, what am I doing wrong? I can get replacement parts - if it's that easy - but I am trying to find out if it's a fact of life problem (eg: what do you suggest to fix the problem?) or if it's an easy fix or just a damaged unit?

Thanks for your help.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Deck Height Slips - Cub Cadet 33" Wide Cut Walk Behind - Home Depot line.....
Re: Deck Height Slips - Cub Cadet 33" Wide Cut Walk Behind - Home Depot line.....

Hello & WELCOME to LMF...

Myself, I have Never taken any mower or tractor to anyone else for any type repair... and I have been using & repairing them since the mid 1950's...
So no you do Not have to take mowers to someone else for repairs...
BUT you will have to come up with a bit more information as to what you have... Like the Model #...

Then we can find a parts diagram and see what parts are involved in the mechanism that sets the cut height ... from that information it should be easy to determine what the Most Likely failure could have occurred...

There is nothing on a mower that you can not determine is wrong... just takes a little understanding of how parts work together to accomplish their intended purpose... a parts diagram will show a Lot... :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads
Re: Deck Height Slips - Cub Cadet 33" Wide Cut Walk Behind - Home Depot line.....

So right now the long handle will raise and lower the deck...but just wont STAY at the desired height ? then it sounds like maybe a tensioned piece of spring steel or a spring that keeps the handle in the notched part of the height selector plate is missing or broke off.i have had the craftsman and troy bilt versions of that mower and never had that issue. but like kenny says it shouldn't be that hard to fix yourself . i did have that very same issue with my 2 yr.old single handle lift handle on my 22" mower and thats what it was ,the spring steel piece that holds the lever at the desired setting.

jaw2000

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks both of you for your replies.

This link takes you a version of my mower (which I do admit buying used), it may or may not be the identical model, but there are so many of these under several names out there, MTD, CC, Sears (2 models now), Troy-bilt, and possibly others. Anyway, I looked at the link below - on CC the website and there is no spring identified.

ARIPartFinder

I call your attention to the area of items 34, 40 and 43. I don't know if there are 'teeth' that have worn off, the bracket, or if the angle of the handle was supposed to act like a spring (or something).

Anyway, I am toying with the idea of drilling a screw in there to keep the deck at one height and having another hole for the last 2 or so cuts of the season where I tend to cut the lawn lower (a pain to adjust but would be great knowing that it won't slip.)

Thanks again and for any tips or if I missed something.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

In your parts illustration... Part #40 has the teeth.. (notches) that hold the setting... there is some type of spring action that holds the arm #32 into those notches... I suspect it has to do with parts # 43....
You can defeat the quick adjust by drilling a hole through the adjustment, but it should be much easier to identify what is amiss with your assembly and just repair it... :smile:KennyV

jaw2000

Forum Newbie
Threads

Agreed, Part 40 is the teeth and adjusts based on where you place the arm mechanism (part 34) (part 32 is the grip that is also a part of part 34). The arm is tensioned, some how, it is bent at an angle out from the motor/motor housing (whatever) at or near part 43 which seems to mainly be a spacer of some sort.

It's almost as if it's supposed to just stay and the vibration from the mower running forces it to slip out, I did not hit anything that would caused some sort of jerking to occur.

There is no actual spring or load that I can tell, the load (if you will) is (or seems to be) from the arm being in place.

If there was a real/actual spring or if I could see that the arm needed additional bending or something, I could go forth and make the simple mod myself.

Believe me - I do not wish to drill a screw in there - but I also don't anymore scalped lawn surprises.

Thanks for your help, and input.