Deck belt broken w/ .6 hrs on new machine

Tigerintn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Perhaps the fact that the belt is actually broken might just go a long way to explaining it being out of position ?
Yeah, there was no tension on mine b/c the belt was broken. Duhh, I didn't think of that. I installed the new belt and it's been good for the last 1.1 hrs. I'm sure it just wasn't installed correctly from the factory. Must have been installed on a monday morning or a friday afternoon.

TobyU

Threads
I'm guessing it wasn't on right when you got it or they got it on the wrong side of one of the keepers and it was rubbing.

I like to run a belt for 3-4 minutes as long as everything sounds ok and then turn off and feel the belt for excessive heat

POW123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a new Ikon 52" from lowes this weekend(hate not buying local but logistics prevented it this weekend and i have a lot of grass to cut). I played around with it when I got it home around 8pm. It's my first ZT so i played around in the driveway for a bit. I tried to engage blades and could hear the pto but no blades. Turns out the belt wasn't attached in the back near the engine. I put the belt back on and called it a night.

The next day I went to cut grass and within 15 minutes of cutting the deck belt broke. I've read some comments about the drive belt breaking pretty early on but not the drive belt. Not seeing any comments on here about this problem. Anybody have any input on this issue? TIA
You need to adjust the belt tabs that keep the belt from coming off. There is a tab on each wheel, and you should find a tensioner spring that has tendency to hang up on the engage lever. It's actually and easy fix.

jviews12

Threads
Are pictures of a "new" machine. Looks crusty, rusty, and years old.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why all of the rust on the pulleys ? Maybe a pre-owned mower ,

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why all of the rust on the pulleys ? Maybe a pre-owned mower ,
In the OP’s first post, he said that he purchased from Lowe’s. That says a lot about the mower. It probably sat outside for some time.

grumpyunk

Threads
Senior Citizen and Mparr, see Saturday 8:40AM... already noted that this was likely
left out in front of a BigBox store for some time, rain and all.
Inspecting and lubricating the pulley bearings seemed to be a good idea when noted.
If the belt sat in one position unmoved for a few months it could have taken a 'set' and not gotten
flexy enough to work and last before giving up the ghost. If the belt was made if that smelly stuff
from the Far East, it may not have lasted either way.
tom

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Senior Citizen and Mparr, see Saturday 8:40AM... already noted that this was likely
left out in front of a BigBox store for some time, rain and all.
Inspecting and lubricating the pulley bearings seemed to be a good idea when noted.
If the belt sat in one position unmoved for a few months it could have taken a 'set' and not gotten
flexy enough to work and last before giving up the ghost. If the belt was made if that smelly stuff
from the Far East, it may not have lasted either way.
tom
It’s rather obvious that it was exposed to the elements for some time.

shurguywutt

Threads
I would have asked for a discount if I saw the garbage on the deck before I bought it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
they are sending me a new belt. I will definitely check out everything before installing the new belt.
They need to send you a tech to check & then install that new belt.