Dead circles

Mitch58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I have these circles all over my lawn, and all I can think of is digging them out and putting down new seed, but there is a root cause why this is happening... I would like to know what people think... I am sensitive to chemicals, so that's out...

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Lawn circle.JPG
    Lawn circle.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 32

Mitch58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow, that could be it... I didn't think of that... I guess I'll have to fence off an area just for them... That will be fun enforcing it...

I'll throw down seed in the meantime... Thanks

lewb

Threads
if that is what is causing it you will have to dig out the dirt and replace with other dirt. A turf guy could probably give you more insight of what those circle represent, from my experience that is exactly what my dog did to my back yard, he would always go in the same place all the time.

gainestruk

Threads
One other thing, I have a Husqvarna RZ4623 zero turn and if I stop and leave engine running it will leave a dead spot like that (takes Couple minutes sitting still to do it) as long as I keep moving no problem.
What kind of mower do you use ?

whelch1

Threads
I would have to agree that is dog urine. My yard has those spots all over it. Dog urine is high in nitrogen and can burn your yard like fertilizer can.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
before you start digging and creating a lot of extra work for yourself. I'd try just maybe using a garden weasel or rake to open the ground up. you don't have to further contain your dogs. spreading pelletized lime every 6-8 weeks during the mowing/growing season will neutralize the dog urine and stabilize the acidic pH levels the urine causes that's killing the turf grass.

panabiker

Threads
I agree it's probably dog urine but I have also seen the similar damage caused by too much fertilizer granular at one spot. I have inadvertently left a clump of granular on my lawn without dispersing it, and a week later this was the result. The green ring was caused by the richness of nitrogen, but at the center, it was too rich for the grass to survive.