D170 vs. X320

mystreba

Threads
I'm in the market for a tractor to replace my old Craftsman GT5000. My old GT5000 did everything I needed it to do, and did it well (until it died). A big-box store Husq. simply could not cut and throw enough grass and I had to clear out the chute every couple of passes. So I need a heavy-duty machine.

I think I'm about done looking for used equipment - too much time and work searching online, driving around and looking at equipment. Also too much risk as I've already encountered unscrupulous sellers. Also I don't have the time to work on machines (other than routine oil changes) and I can't afford the two-weeks of downtime it takes to have someone else fix the machine. Bottom line - I'm no closer to a tractor today than I was two weeks ago when I started looking for a used machine. So now I'm looking at new. Budget is around $4k.

Any thoughts on the new D170 54" deck vs. the new X320 54" deck? Biggest differences that I can see:

X320 has slightly thicker gauge steel deck (.135 vs. .120), and it has lower horsepower (22hp Kaw. vs. 26hp B&S).

Price difference is $2799 vs. $4399. The D170 compares well with my old Craftsman GT5000. What do I gain with the X320? Is it worth the extra $1600? My requirements are below.

thanks

-----------------------------------------

I have 1.75 acres. One acre is turf lawn twisty-turny around trees and other landscaping items. There are surface roots that occasionally require raising the deck a bit.

The other .75 acre is field converted to lawn - it's thick, dense and grows fast. It's more-or-less straight runs, but it's a bear to mow. Mid-season, I generally have to mow weekly. If I let it go, I'm hatin' life and kicking the dog. It needs a minimum 54" deck and enough power to throw some grass.

I have numerous opportunities for ground-contact - tilling, plowing, aerating, etc. I say "opportunities" because I lack the attachments.

What I do have is a dumper cart, and I use that a LOT. Hauling yard debris, dirt, stone, construction materials, etc...

Kingwood990

Threads
For one the Kawasaki engine is far superior over the Briggs and Stratton. The X320 uses front wheel bearings where the D170 uses bushings. The X320 has the same transaxle as the D170 which is a good transaxle. The X320's mower has 5 anti scalping wheels on the deck. The D170 has 4 anti scalping wheels. The anti scalping wheels on the X320 rotate 90 degrees to help in removing the mower when necessary (this works real well on my X520). The anti scalping wheels on the D170 do not rotate nor do they have the ability to be adjusted up and down like on the X320.

Hope this helps.

mystreba

Threads
For one the Kawasaki engine is far superior over the Briggs and Stratton. The X320 uses front wheel bearings where the D170 uses bushings. The X320 has the same transaxle as the D170 which is a good transaxle. The X320's mower has 5 anti scalping wheels on the deck. The D170 has 4 anti scalping wheels. The anti scalping wheels on the X320 rotate 90 degrees to help in removing the mower when necessary (this works real well on my X520). The anti scalping wheels on the D170 do not rotate nor do they have the ability to be adjusted up and down like on the X320.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - it does help. What you describe doesn't seem to warrant another $1600 - is it worth it, or not?

Kingwood990

Threads
I think these features are worth the extra money. The Kawasaki has plenty of power and torque I have never ran out of power when working. The X320 will last you 20 years or more where the D170 might last you a little over 10 years. Also the frame on the X300 series is the same is the frame on the X500 series.
I attached a few pictures of the mower and the frame.
1h9euc.jpg

This picture shows the adjustable anti-scalp wheels.
2m5ymq9.jpg

This picture shows the front roller on the deck.
2aija00.jpg

These pictures show the frame of the tractor. The frame is 3/16ths of an inch thick.
2evtago.jpg

2pry451.jpg

2h5oaac.jpg

I don't think the newer X300 or X500 series tractors come with this frame extension from the factory any more but it is to hold 4 suitcase weights to help with the powerflow bagger or any other heavy rear mounted attachments.
v8e7p1.jpg

mystreba

Threads
I think these features are worth the extra money. The Kawasaki has plenty of power and torque I have never ran out of power when working. The X320 will last you 20 years or more where the D170 might last you a little over 10 years.

Well that settles it then. There is no way I make it another 10 years, and I don't want to leave my kids anything.

Seriously, I really appreciate your replies. But today while I was in my thinking spot I came up with 5 important points:

1 - if the D170 isn't enough tractor I can trade it in next year on an X series and only be out a few hundred after a year's worth of service, and I'll know I have the right tractor in the end.
2 - if the D170 is enough tractor, it's the best case scenario
3 - if the X320 is too much tractor I'm out $1600 that I didn't need to spend
4 - if the X320 is just the right tractor, it's a good scenario (but not the best - see #2 above)
5 - we are out of toilet paper (!#%$ kids!)

So I think I'm going with the D170 unless someone tells me it's a piece of junk.

Kingwood990

Threads
Which ever tractor you choose will be a good machine. Good luck in your quest for a new machine.:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Hope this helps.

Great advice...
The difference between bushings and bearings alone says a lot as to how much work you can expect from them... :smile::smile:KennyV

Vern2

Threads
I know this is an old thread.

The X models are great but I'm 67 and cut 1 1/2 acre in the summer every weekend. My 48" L130 had 1,600+ hours on it. I'm going to pickup a new 2011 D170, it's ready.

Thank You,

Vern

Vern2

Threads
Got it home. Cut a 1/2 acre with it. I think I got the non Calif. model with the 4 gal gas tank. Couple things I noticed with it.

Yes, it gets to park on the patio.
D170.jpg

1) It's fast. Much faster then the 48" L130 I had.
2) It seems to go as fast backward as forward, fast.
3) Engine is very quiet.
4) I don't think the engine was going very fast, half throttle, but there was little noise coming from the blades.
5) really shinny
6) Big seat nice back
7) I kept bumping things, I like the front bumper.
8) Like the wide 54". My wife was watching very close, after I told her it would go through our gates just fine (had my fingers crossed). It had 4" on either side, not a problem.
9) It seems really wide while cutting and looking at the width of the cuts, very cool.
10) I can raise and lower the deck from the seat. They changed the leverage in the linkage.
11) Just seems like it turns sharper in the corners, where the L130 couldn't get to.
12) Did 1/2 acre, the new gas gage stilled showed full.

I only did part of the field. Left the rest for tomorrow.

Vern

Vern2

Threads
Just an update. My new D170 has almost 50 hours on it now. Changed the oil at 8 hours using 15-40 here in Arizona. About to change the oil again at 50 hrs. The filters are $10, wow, got to find a cheaper source. The hours are being added cleaning up leaves with a new John Deere lawn sweep, great product.

My pile of leaves are 7 to 8' tall now. I stack up the leaves with a Boomer. The leaves will go into a 1/2 acre garden. Thinking about a one bottom plow, then rotatilling it. See here -

My Projects - under menu Home projects

Vern