D125 Coil problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Native, not naked
The black fellas do the same as native animals in the heat of summer during the day
Find a cool shady spot & stay there
I have a pine forest near by from an abandoned christmas tree farm
In the forest it can get as much as 15 C lower than the air temperature and 25 C lower than the ground temperature.
Just come back in from turning the wartering system off 54 C on the grass so that will be near 70 C on the black bitumen road

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert I knew what you meant...But even some look really bad. Wearing heavy white loose fitting clothes do work except there is no way to keep them that white unless you don't work.

Now that is hot as the top black driveway here in the peak Summer here. Hot enough to melt the soles of some foot wear. I think my drive hit 152F this at one time. In some place the new paving just slide off the old surfaces. They are now repaving those areas.

Yes I switch to working under the shade trees during that time. That's why I don't mind being called a shade tree mechanic.

Now it wa 40F here and I just got my shearing and boy was my head cold with the wind blowing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert I knew what you meant...But even some look really bad. Wearing heavy white loose fitting clothes do work except there is no way to keep them that white unless you don't work.

Now that is hot as the top black driveway here in the peak Summer here. Hot enough to melt the soles of some foot wear. I think my drive hit 152F this at one time. In some place the new paving just slide off the old surfaces. They are now repaving those areas.

Yes I switch to working under the shade trees during that time. That's why I don't mind being called a shade tree mechanic.

Now it wa 40F here and I just got my shearing and boy was my head cold with the wind blowing.
people forget that the temperatures you see & hear are the air temperatures measured inside a white painted box
sunlight heats up everything it strikes and the rate of cooling by the air is proportional to the difference in the temperature between the surface & the air
so when the air is 48 ( yesterdays max ) you don't get much cooling

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That why they paint heat sinks black as it absorbs more heat. Different materials heat differently too due color and material used.

And 118+F is hot no matter where you are just like -10 F is damn cold.

Strange yesterday it was 70+ F and the day before was only 35F max. Now of we had storms last night with 6 people getting killed in Tennessee. I have learned this time of year when the temps are at 70F be ready for severe storms and tornadoes. It is what I call the magic temperature.

aussietrev

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well guys, the heat finally stopped, then the rain started. At last it is a sunny cool day up here so all fired up with all new filters, spark plugs, even a new fuel pump and tools in hand I go to try and track down the problem. I have a home made lift and put the old girl up all keen and was set to take the panel out to replace the fuel filter and oil filter and I think I may have found the problem. I'm not certain but I'm thinking the big hole smashed out of the side of the crankcase may have something to do with it running really rough on one cylinder.:mad:
So advice please, is it worth throwing a new engine in her and if so, what would people recommend? The machine only has around 600 hours on it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well guys, the heat finally stopped, then the rain started. At last it is a sunny cool day up here so all fired up with all new filters, spark plugs, even a new fuel pump and tools in hand I go to try and track down the problem. I have a home made lift and put the old girl up all keen and was set to take the panel out to replace the fuel filter and oil filter and I think I may have found the problem. I'm not certain but I'm thinking the big hole smashed out of the side of the crankcase may have something to do with it running really rough on one cylinder.:mad:
So advice please, is it worth throwing a new engine in her and if so, what would people recommend? The machine only has around 600 hours on it.
So you think that a broken rod might be the problem? Lucky for it to be even to running at all.

aussietrev

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you think that a broken rod might be the problem? Lucky for it to be even to running at all.
Yes, I'm thinking so. Even if it is something else that caused the hole though it means replacing the engine doesn't it? Due to cost though I am wondering if it is worth it to go with a new V twin or maybe drop down to a single cylinder job around 18-19 HP for less than half the cost. Thoughts?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yes, I'm thinking so. Even if it is something else that caused the hole though it means replacing the engine doesn't it? Due to cost though I am wondering if it is worth it to go with a new V twin or maybe drop down to a single cylinder job around 18-19 HP for less than half the cost. Thoughts?
How is this engine running if the connecting rod smashed a hole through the engine case? You could TIG weld the case and see how long it runs I guess. Whether you go single or twin cylinder engine, a new engine is costly to put on an old mower. Never an ideal situation to decrease horsepower with a repower.

aussietrev

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tiger if you had bother to look-up the D125 you would had seen the JD used a V-twin on the mower. I have had v-twin even with a fuel pump still run somewhat with a hole in the crankcase.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/68105/referrer/navigation/pgId/1100914
I obviously knew it was a V Twin, otherwise it would have been pretty bizarre for me to be posting about it running rough on one cylinder. What I was asking was what people thought about dropping it back to a single cylinder engine given that a no name 20HP twin is about $1400 whereas a single 18HP is only around $600. I rarely mow on full throttle anyway and there are plenty of 42 inch cut mowers on the market that run 18 or 19HP singles.