cv22s

Rail20

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the difference between the CV-22 and the CV-22S? I want to rebuild my CV-22S but
don't know if the kit (rings included) for a CV-22 will be the same as the CV-22S. Basically,
I don't know what the difference is between the two.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
CV-22 and CV-22S are the same but you need to make sure the part you are looking up fits your engine by specification number not just some generic thing you found on the internet that claims that will fit. In other words two CV-22 or CV-22S engines could have different rings/pistons etc.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The "S" just indicates it is electric start just like "T" means pull start. As IL said you drop the "S" and make you use the spec number to get the right parts.

Last edited:

Rail20

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information and advice. Just what I was looking for. Definitely didn't know ring sizes could vary within the same model engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the information and advice. Just what I was looking for. Definitely didn't know ring sizes could vary within the same model engine.
Not only can internal parts vary by specification number(spec number for short) but sometimes can even vary by serial number within a spec number.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They do things like go to thinner rings mid season or a lighter piston

The bore & stroke will not change

Also not uncommon to switch suppliers for parts mid season

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And Kohler on some had to switch pistons due to problems with the pistons/rings and suppliers over the years.

And you can get an engine that has been short blocked like the one I just recently did. The techs are supposed put labels indicating the new parts but some don't as they think it is a waste of time. Bad Boy mower that eariler only had the serial number of the new short block applied to the shroud.

Plus right now I have to Kohler-Italy to get the parts list for the particular short block used. They are suppose to be adding the short block ipls to the Partners Website (Kohler's dealers website) but they haven't done it yet. They are just dragging their feet since they shut down the Kohler Plus dealer's website.