CV15 fuel stops flowing - engine dies

JES2

Threads
Hi everybody,

New here and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Kohler CV15 on Craftsman lawn tractor. The engine quits while running. I have a clear plastic fuel filter on it, and I can see there is no gas flowing. If I take the fuel line loose, let the gas start flowing, reconnect it, it will go again. It seems that the more I run the mower the more frequently it happens. I've replaced the solenoid on the carburetor, and confirmed the new one is working. I've replaced the fuel line, filter (x2), and the vacuum hose that goes from the engine head to the breather. I've removed the float and needle valve and cleaned the carburetor with spray carb cleaner. I've taken the gas tank off and thoroughly cleaned it. Air filter is in good shape. Yesterday the first time it happened I took the gas cap off to see it wasn't venting correctly, and gas started flowing. I cranked it back up, and seemed like it was good to go. Thinking the vent on the cap wasn't letting enough air in, I kept the cap loose and ran it. 5 minutes later same problem. I had to take the fuel line loose, let gas start to flow, reconnect, and it's good to go. Then repeat in 5-10 minutes.

The last thing I replaced was the vacuum line, which I did day before yesterday. I ran it for over 30 minutes with no problem, then yesterday it starts acting up within about 15 minutes. The only thing I can think of that was different from yesterday was I had the engine cover off replacing the vacuum line and didn't put it back on before ran it those 30 or so minutes. When I put it back in the shop for the night, I put the engine cover back on, and it was on yesterday when it started acting up again. Could something that's warming up be causing the problem? It's about got me stumped!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does this motor have a fuel pump on it? Those pumps can get some crud built up on the little rubber type internal valves and lose capacity.

JES2

Threads
Does this motor have a fuel pump on it? Those pumps can get some crud built up on the little rubber type internal valves and lose capacity.
No, it doesn't have one.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Try loosening the gas cap when it starts running rough...
Could also be trash floating around in the gas tank and it gets pulled down into the flow blocking it.

JES2

Threads
Try loosening the gas cap when it starts running rough...
Could also be trash floating around in the gas tank and it gets pulled down into the flow blocking it.
I did loosen the gas cap, and I've taken the tank off and cleaned it. Also replaced the fuel line and filter, cleaned the carb.

JES2

Threads
Since this is a gravity fuel system what fuel filter are you bbn using? Paper element? Install a screen type filter and see what happens or just eun line from tank to carb and see what happens.
This is the type filter you need on a gravity system
Thanks, I will try that. I got the clear plastic kind that's a couple of inches long. Kind of like this (not exact one): https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...er/33002/4443644?q=in+line+fuel+filter&pos=11

Mower King

Threads
You might try a remote tank, hang it above the carb / mower so it gravity feeds fuel to the carb, and connect it directly to the carb with new fuel line and no filter.....that way you're eliminating all the fuel lines, tank, filter that you are using now.....then you'll know more of where the problem is!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most likely it is just the wrong fuel filter.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've never had a problem using those clear filters on gravity fed engines.