Cut lengths

FLS12

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is an ideal length to cut the grass in the spring and the summer. I know that grass should be cut longer in the summer so that the sun does not burn the roots, but what's a goo length

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends on the type of grass you're cutting, most all grass from Bermuda to St Augustine have different cutting heights.

Grass TypeMowing Height
Bahia grass2½” – 4”
Bentgrass¼” – ¾”
Bermuda½” – 2½”
Buffalograss2” – 4”
Centipede1½” – 2½”
Fine fescue2½” – 3”
Kentucky Bluegrass1½” – 3½”
Ryegrass1½” – 2½”
St. Augustine2½” – 3½”
Tall fescue2” – 4”
Zoysia½” – 2”

Threads
Depends on the type of grass you're cutting, most all grass from Bermuda to St Augustine have different cutting heights.

Grass TypeMowing Height
Bahia grass2ス 4納/TD]
Bentgrassシ セ納/TD]
Bermudaス 2ス納/TD]
Buffalograss2 4納/TD]
Centipede1ス 2ス納/TD]
Fine fescue2ス 3納/TD]
Kentucky Bluegrass1ス 3ス納/TD]
Ryegrass1ス 2ス納/TD]
St. Augustine2ス 3ス納/TD]
Tall fescue2 4納/TD]
Zoysiaス 2納/TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

You forgot Crabgrass = Burn it.:laughing:

FLS12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks... Guess now I need to learn what each type of grass looks like. Kentucky Bluegrass just seems so common up here in northern Indiana

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Grass TypeMowing Height
Bahia grass2ス 4納/TD]
Bentgrassシ セ納/TD]
Bermudaス 2ス納/TD]
Buffalograss2 4納/TD]
Centipede1ス 2ス納/TD]
Fine fescue2ス 3納/TD]
Kentucky Bluegrass1ス 3ス納/TD]
Ryegrass1ス 2ス納/TD]
St. Augustine2ス 3ス納/TD]
Tall fescue2 4納/TD]
Zoysiaス 2納/TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

Ric,
That's VERY good information...thanks for sharing that. Also, isn't the best thing to do is cut a little higher than the "minimum" and cut often(using the "1/3 rule" where you cut the grass when it is 1/3 taller than the desired height)? And if you are striping, wouldn't some of those grass types' minimum that are 1/4" to 1/2" be way too short for the striper to bend the remaing grass blades to get a good striping effect? Just trying to learn all the mowing insider info:0)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks... Guess now I need to learn what each type of grass looks like. Kentucky Bluegrass just seems so common up here in northern Indiana

FLS12,
Is that a Dixon Ultra in your avatar?? I almost pulled the string on a Dixon DX100 last fall, but the Gravely beat it out. If that's your current mower, how do you like it?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,
That's VERY good information...thanks for sharing that. Also, isn't the best thing to do is cut a little higher than the "minimum" and cut often(using the "1/3 rule" where you cut the grass when it is 1/3 taller than the desired height)? And if you are striping, wouldn't some of those grass types' minimum that are 1/4" to 1/2" be way too short for the striper to bend the remaing grass blades to get a good striping effect? Just trying to learn all the mowing insider info:0)

I would guess like you say cut a little higher than the "minimum" and cut often(using the "1/3 rule" ) but that's a problem for some especially if they're paying clients. Using the 1/3 rule is better on the grass, mower and the guy doing the cutting. As far as striping goes your talking to the wrong guy I don't like striping, never have I think it makes a residential lawn look ridiculous. It has its place like on athletic fields and such and it's fine but not on someones home but that's just my opinion. As far as the minimum heights are concerned my guess is they would be better to use on like Bermuda and such as that is what is used on ball fields and they strip the heck out of those, just guessing.

Last edited:
Threads
Ric,

Yes, if you cut the grass short it won't stripe as well because it is not bending the grass over as much and not reflecting as much light. In general, striping works better if you cut the grass on the longer side. Read this information to learn more: SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Lawn Striping and Lawn Patterns - How Do They Work? :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your going to keep your grass at 1/4 inch would be best to use a ten blade reel mower with rollers

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))