Cub Headlights quit working

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can check the switch with a volt ohm meter... there is very little wiring so wring out should be very quick and easy... :smile:KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
You can check the switch with a volt ohm meter... there is very little wiring so wring out should be very quick and easy... :smile:KennyV

Well I replaced the ignition switch and it started right up. It ran good but then died. It did this a couple of times but would always start again if I wiggled the positive battery cable. (The cable is not loose)

I blew snow for a couple of hours yesterday and just went out and started all over again after our second blizzard in as many days. I got all the way to the end of my road and BLAH. It died again. Turned the key and nothing again. Wiggled the cable. Still nothing. I had to pull it all the way back to the garage.

I'm just confused as to what could be causing this.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...would always start again if I wiggled the positive battery cable. (The cable is not loose)

I'm just confused as to what could be causing this.

The cable ends (eyes) can be a bad electrical connection inside...
Check both ends .
Was this working when you wiggled the battery end of the positive cable or the solenoid end of the cable? KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
The cable ends (eyes) can be a bad electrical connection inside...
Check both ends .
Was this working when you wiggled the battery end of the positive cable or the solenoid end of the cable? KennyV

Kenny it was the battery end. One other thing I would like to add that I just thought about. The safety switch under the seat that shuts the mower down when you get off of it quit working this summer. Do you think it could have something to do with this switch not working properly and "confusing" the engine?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The safety switch under the seat that shuts the mower down when you get off of it quit working this summer. Do you think it could have something to do with this switch not working properly and "confusing" the engine?

The 'safety' circuit is easy to check out...
Most likely a single pole N-O (normally open) switch... Disconnect the wires and connect them to each other.

Check the battery cable eyelet ends AND check that the battery post is actually not loose inside the battery... :smile:KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
The 'safety' circuit is easy to check out...
Most likely a single pole N-O (normally open) switch... Disconnect the wires and connect them to each other.

Check the battery cable eyelet ends AND check that the battery post is actually not loose inside the battery... :smile:KennyV

I'm gonna go warm up the garage and check this out. If I don't get the driveway blown out, my girls won't be able to get thier cars down it.

Hey on second thought maybe I should just leave it! They are TEENAGERS!!! :eek:

:biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey on second thought maybe I should just leave it! They are TEENAGERS!!! :eek:

:biggrin:

Teenagers NEED to get out much more than the rest of us... :smile:KennyV

Rooster7

Threads
Or is is that WE need them to get out?! :laughing:

Ok. Something came up so I wasn't able to mess with the tractor until a little bit ago. I thought I would see if it would start before I tried anything. It did. Then stopped but started again. Stopped. Started again. This time it kept running well. Got half way down the road again and it died. Turn the key and nothing.

Its almost like something is getting hot and expanding causing a break in circuit. Then when it cools back down it makes contact again? I don't know. Its frustrating as all get out I know that.:mad:

Gearjammer

Threads
A little advice from an old f_art...

There are two things that shouldn't be attempted in the dark... Mowing the yard and giving a haircut. Good luck. Gearjammer