Cub Cadet SLT1554 running problem

68vert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I have a Slt1554 cub cadet with a Kohler Command 27 engine. I can get it to start fine. I cant keep it running unless the choke is almost fully engaged when you put any load on it it dies it almost seem like its running out of gas. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter the new filter fills with gas so i do not think that fuel delivery is the issue. If anyone has any suggestions or direction i should look in it would be appreciated.

Thanks
68vert

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
make sure the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb clicks when you turn the key from off to on. Kohler allows fuel to be drawn through the idle side of the carb and can run somewhat with the choke on even if it isn't working.

68vert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Ilengine
I went out to see if the solenoid was in fact clicking when i turned the key on and off and indeed it was so we can rule that out. So if there are any other suggestions I'm listening.
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
my next step would be to confirm fuel flow into the carb. If you have good flow there then I would be removing and cleaning the carb. It acts like you have a fuel restriction problem.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clean carb.
Dirty carb
Down and dirty: youtube.com/watch?v=VBL-BUj0c6E
More technical: youtube.com/watch?v=nAk_WDt3AD8

68vert

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will pull the carb clean it and get back to you with results thanks all for the input

68vert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well after pulling the carb inspecting cleaned and replaced the problem persisted. So i went back to the beginning going through the entire fuel system the fuel filter was filling so that meant the fuel pump was pumping it is a new one the fuel filter is new but what i did not take into consideration is the rate at which it filled. I ran a fuel line from the fuel pump right into a tank of gas low and behold it ran like a champ. What I found out is that on the cub cadet super LT 1554 there is a filter inside the tank there is no way to access the tank without taking the whole tractor apart. So what i did is take the fuel line off the bottom of the tank then i took a small screwdriver pushed it up into the tank and popped off the in tank filter I still have a in line filter so I'm not to concerned about debris it runs like new now at least i have a clean carb new fuel pump and filter. I hope my findings may help someone in the future. Thanks again for the input

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may live to regret that.
Mowers with big fuel caps end up with a lot of trash in the tank which is why the filter ( well strainer actually ) was there in the first place so make sure you have a coarse filter in the line before the fuel pump ( to protect the pump ) and then a fine filter between the pump and the carb.
As the fuel level drops, air must enter the tank.
This air will be very dusty because it is behind the mower deck so it sucks dirty dusty air into the tank which will evenually end up in the fuel lines.
The pump can handle dust bit not little strands of grass.
Trying to remeber to completely fill the tank before you start the mower while it is still in th shed/ barn/ etc will go a long way to alleviating this problem.